Arcadia Stable's Buck Jakes tuned up for a start in the April 29 Maryland Hunt Cup by defeating Comet Cossey in the Babe Saportas Memorial timber race yesterday at the Elkridge-Harford Point-to-Point races in Monkton.
Most of the timber races, including the featured Edward S. Voss Memorial, were canceled because of the hard condition of the ground.
Buck Jakes, who won the Grand National Steeplechase at Butler last year but bypassed the Hunt Cup, was ridden yesterday by Anne Moran in a race restricted to women riders.
Darcie Dalrymple on Comet Cossey vied for the lead with Ashley Stees on High As Paul for most of the race, but at the 10th fence, Stees fell. Moran finally got Buck Jakes in gear after the last of 14 fences and won by a half-length.
The 7-year-old gray gelding is owned by a partnership of Peyton Cochran, Andre Brewster and Francis Iglehart and is trained by Charles Fenwick Jr.
In the only other timber race, Christopher Ransom and Burley Cocks went off course after the fifth fence in the hunter chase event, leaving Patrick Worrall on Commanding Dance to gallop home an easy winner.
1st--Stewart Memorial, mdn. 1mi. (flat)
1. Sea In Flash (R. Hobson); 2. Ambition Prospect (J. Cole); 3. Miss Stix (H. Bedford).
2nd--Smithwick Memorial, Jr. Var. Dist. (flat)
Small ponies: 1. Black Knight (V. Brown)
2. Sally (J. Pearce). Medium ponies: 1. Garfield (A. Knox); 2. Chrisco (A. Finney); 3. Alphabet (C. Finney). Large ponies: 1. Bit O' Cut (E. Voss); 2. Jay (A. Knox). Junior horses: 1. Warren Place (A. Finney); 2. Irish Granite (L. Offutt); 3. Friday (S. Gumph).
3rd--Christmas Memorial, 1m. (flat)
1. Aldabaroness (C. Clagett); 2. Imbellish (K. White); 3. Slew of Bills (S. Laimbeer).
4th--Small Memorial. Chase. 3m. (timber)
1. Commanding Dance (P. Worrall)
5th--Saportas Memorial. 3m. (timber)
1. Buck Jakes (A. Moran); 2. Comet Cossey (D. Dalrymple)