G. Forest bucks tradition, defeats Roland Park, 10-8

April 05, 1995|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

The winds of change blew in more than a cold front yesterday at Garrison Forest.

The ninth-ranked Grizzlies finally cooled off No. 3 Roland Park's domination of Association of Independent Schools girls lacrosse with a 10-8 upset victory. Rallying from five goals down early in the second half, the Grizzlies handed the Reds their first loss to an AIS team since 1991.

Seven straight second-half goals capped by Tricia Ward's back-to-back scores sealed the Grizzlies' first win over the Reds in at least six years.

"It's a big win," said junior Jacque Weitzel, who led the Grizzlies with two goals and two assists.

The Reds, four-time defending A Division champs, compiled a 42-1-1 record between 1992 and 1994. Friends managed the tie while Mount Hebron had the only win, both in 1993.

But tradition could not carry the Reds (3-1) in yesterday's A Division nonleague matchup once Garrison began to rally. The Grizzlies (3-1) dominated the draws or created quick turnovers and had their transition game flowing right to goal.

"She who has possession of the ball shall win the game," said Roland Park coach Wendy Kridel. "We didn't have the ball in our sticks enough in the second half to do anything with it."

The Grizzlies outshot Roland Park 21-7 in the second half and 32-22 in the game.

The Reds started off the second half well enough. Hedy Born, who had scored on two Lizzy Bennett passes in the first half, returned the favor to give the Reds a 7-2 lead two minutes into the half.

After Melissa Riggs, Maggie Shoemaker and Missy Hopkins scored within three minutes, Kridel called a timeout to settle the Reds, but it didn't help.

L A minute later, Weitzel cut the lead to 7-6 with 15:55 left.

Reds goalie Melissa Coyne, who had 13 saves, stopped two straight Grizzlies' free-position shots, but even that barely dented Garrison's momentum. Weitzel came right back to hit Lauren Klein with 7:16 left for the 7-7 tie.

Weitzel then had a check and steal in the midfield and hit Ward, who back-handed it past Coyne. Less than a minute later, Ward scored off a ground ball in front of the crease for a 9-7 Garrison lead with 5:33 to go.

Kellie Sloan cut the lead to one with 4:53 to go and the Reds missed a couple of chances, including a free-position shot stopped by goalie Chrissy Cooper (eight saves).

Weitzel fed Riggs with 14 seconds remaining for the final blow.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.