No. 1 Boys' Latin survives, 8-7 BOYS LACROSSE

March 29, 1995|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

There aren't too many high school lacrosse teams that can afford to lose a player of the caliber of senior midfielder Matt Swift.

Then again, there aren't too many teams out there that are as deep and talented as top-ranked Boys' Latin.

Playing in their first game since losing Swift to a knee injury on Saturday, the visiting Lakers opened a three-goal lead with just over four minutes left and then held on for an 8-7 victory over No. 3 Loyola in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference opener yesterday at Hargaden Field.

"We had so much trouble getting the ball out because for the first time this year we played against a team that can get out and cover those guys on the wings," said Lakers coach Bob Shriver. "We've been fast-breaking and running so well all year and they choked that off because we weren't making good decisions."

Now for the good news.

"We did what we had to do to win and we feel very fortunate," said Shriver. "It was a great way to get it rolling here."

Senior attackmen Chris Turner and Brad Gilroy led the way for the Lakers (6-0), each scoring two goals.

An extra-man goal by Turner gave the Lakers a 5-3 halftime lead, but that margin was cut in half midway through the third quarter when Loyola senior midfielder Scott Diggs, who was shut out in the first half, scored the first of his three second-half goals.

Gilroy answered with an unassisted goal about a minute later and sophomore attackman Ian Shure gave the visitors a 7-4 lead when he scored an unassisted goal in the final minute of the third quarter.

Said Loyola coach Joe McFadden, "I guess if I take anything from this thing, we played what is supposed to be the team of the century and we came up a couple seconds short of overtime and we played poorly."

Loyola (0-1) started the fourth quarter with an extra-man opportunity and Diggs made the Lakers pay for it, scoring on a pass from J. L. Reppert just as a Boys' Latin player was released from the penalty box.

Two key saves by Andrew Hampson, including one on a whistler from Loyola's Jason Rickel, helped set up the Lakers' final goal, an empty-netter by Gilroy with 4:20 left.

Diggs gave the Lakers something to think about when he scored with 2:02 left and Tim Hahn probably helped remind Boys' Latin of last year's quadruple overtime loss to the Dons when he cut the lead to one on a feed from Todd Maher with 32 seconds.

The Dons had a chance to tie it, but couldn't convert their extra-man opportunity in the final 16 seconds.

"This was a real test for us," said Hampson, who insisted on giving the credit to defensemen Ward Smith, Eric Fitez, John Glatzel and Jason Quenzer. "We've played some pretty good teams so far, but nothing like Loyola."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.