Man charged in fatal stabbing of wife

March 28, 1995|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Sun Staff Writer

A father of four children has been charged with stabbing his estranged wife to death in the couple's Brooklyn home yesterday while the woman was gathering clothes in preparation to move in with her parents, city police said.

Brian McGuire, 27, of the 4100 block of Highland Ave., is charged with first-degree murder and using a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony.

He is being held at the Southern Police District station without bail pending a bail review hearing today before a District Court judge.

Police said the husband works as a plumber.

In the house, said homicide detective Dave Brown, police found the suspected murder weapon, a large knife that matched others in the kitchen.

Police said the victim, Leah McGuire, 22, who had been living with her parents in the 1200 block of S. Hanover St. for an undisclosed period of time, went to the Highland Avenue home yesterday afternoon with her father to retrieve some clothes.

Two of the children were in a second-floor room at the time and were not harmed, police said.

Neighbors told police the couple hadn't been getting along recently.

While the father waited on a second-floor landing, his daughter entered a third-floor bedroom.

There, police said, the woman encountered her husband and a scuffle occurred.

Police said when the father heard noises and was walking up the stairs to the bedroom, he passed the husband on the landing.

Without saying a word, police said, the husband left the house "in a hurry."

When the the woman's father entered the bedroom, he found his daughter lying on the floor, bleeding from multiple stab wounds to the back and upper front torso.

Police said the father cradled his daughter in his arms as she bled to death.

When police arrived on the scene, the father spoke with them and a wanted broadcast went out.

Around 8 p.m., the husband surrendered himself to Anne Arundel County police at their Northern District station.

He was then turned over to city police, who charged him with his wife's death early today.

Police said relatives were expected to care for the children.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.