John S. HoltPostal retireeJohn S. Holt, a retired postal...

March 23, 1995

John S. Holt

Postal retiree

John S. Holt, a retired postal superintendent who saw action in two wars and who loved classical music, died of a massive stroke at the University of Maryland Medical Center on Sunday. He was 79.

The longtime resident of Sutton Place Apartments worked in several postal facilities in Baltimore during a 35-year career, retiring from the Highlandtown post office in 1977.

Mr. Holt joined the Maryland National Guard before World War II and was drafted in 1942 into the Navy, serving as a storekeeper in the Pacific. In 1945, he rejoined the National Guard and served during the Korean conflict. Discharged in 1956 with the rank of chief warrant officer, he remained active in the Army Reserve until being discharged again, with the rank of lieutenant.

Reared on Druid Hill Avenue, he was a 1932 graduate of Frederick Douglass High School.

Mr. Holt played violin in the early 1930s in the Colored Symphony Orchestra, which, when founded by city government in 1930, was the first of its kind in the nation. That experience led to an interest in opera, as well as to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and Morris Mechanic Theater subscriptions.

Mr. Holt was a longtime member of Grace Presbyterian Church, where he had been an elder, trustee, deacon and member of the choir and bell choir.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2604 Banister Road, Baltimore.

Mr. Holt is survived by two sons, John S. Holt of Baltimore and Reginald L. Holt of Washington, D.C.; three sisters, Gloria H. Hagan and Lucy H. Bradford, both of Baltimore, and Helen H. Williams of New York City; a stepdaughter, Jean Powell of Baltimore; eight grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to the building fund of Grace Presbyterian Church.

Sister Mary Thecla

Nurse, dietary manager

Sister Mary Thecla Hynes, C.B.S., who had been a nurse and held other health care positions, died Sunday of congestive heart failure at the provincial house of the Congregation of Bon Secours in Marriottsville. She was 81.

Sister Mary Thecla had lived at the provincial house since 1989. She retired in 1985 as social services secretary at St. Francis Country House in Darby, Pa.

She was born Mary Renetta Hynes in Baltimore native and graduated from what is now Notre Dame Preparatory School and, in 1944, from the Bon Secours Hospital nursing school. She was a nurse at the West Baltimore hospital until 1952.

She entered the Congregation of Bon Secours in 1936, and after leaving the hospital here, was a nurse, supervisor or dietary manager at hospitals or other institutions it operated in Massachusetts, Michigan, Florida and Pennsylvania.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today in the chapel of the provincial house, 1525 Marriottsville Road.

She is survived by a sister, Agnes Macaluso of Catonsville and a brother, George Hynes of Arbutus.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.