No. 2 Hopkins topples Syracuse in OT, 14-13

March 19, 1995|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Sun Staff Writer

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The pose is familiar. The one where Johns Hopkins attackman Terry Riordan scores, puts his hands on his hips and then gives a menacing stare to the crowd.

A Carrier Dome crowd of 8,370 got an up-close-and-personal look yesterday as Riordan scored the game-winning goal 46 seconds into the four-minute sudden-death overtime and No. 2 Johns Hopkins defeated No. 1 Syracuse, 14-13.

After flinging the high shot over the right shoulder of goalie Alex Rosier, Riordan was mobbed by teammates on the artificial surface of the Carrier Dome, where Syracuse has been nearly unbeatable since the stadium opened in 1980.

Midfielder Milford Marchant had sent the game into overtime when he beat defender Rorke Denver and midfielder Mike Witek outside the crease for a short goal with eight seconds left in regulation.

The Hopkins win was the second straight loss here for the Orangemen (2-2), a first at the Carrier Dome and the first time since 1975 they have lost two straight at any home. It was also the second last-minute win for the Blue Jays (4-0), who opened their season with a 15-14 victory against defending national champion Princeton with two goals in the last 18 seconds.

"I just feel like it is our year, and we're a team of destiny. I honestly believe that," said Riordan. "It has a lot to do with the group of guys we have on the field right now. When we know the game is on the line, we put our butts in gear."

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Riordan, a senior from Baldwin, N.Y., who has 145 career goals, continues to carry the Blue Jays along with fellow senior attackman Brian Piccola and junior linemate Dave Marr.

Riordan had five goals yesterday, several in which he simply ran through and over Syracuse defenders. Piccola had three, the last one bringing the Blue Jays within 12-11 with 8:44 left. The underrated Marr had two goals, one of which tied it at 12 just 25 seconds after Piccola scored his third.

The Blue Jays got some unexpected help from two players who have struggled this season -- Marchant with his goal to force OT and goalie Jonathan Marcus with his 19 saves.

"I was seeing the ball real well," said Marcus. "People say it's real tough to play in goal here because of the lights and the ball blends in with the seats. But that's just an excuse. I would have used it if we had lost, though."

The Blue Jays were in a festive mood after surviving a typical Hopkins-Syracuse game that featured cheap shots, fights, 13 penalties, several lead changes, behind-the-back passes and between-the-legs shots, the game's best finisher in Riordan, the game's future best finisher in Syracuse freshman Casey Powell (three goals), great goaltending and a pace that was torrid.

Syracuse started slowly, perhaps because coach Roy Simmons Jr. was hospitalized just before the game with complications from pneumonia. Hopkins had a 7-3 lead with 6:05 left in the half, but a furious and vintage Syracuse run made it 7-7 at the half, the last goal scored by Orangemen attackman Doug Jackson with 22 seconds left.

Syracuse dominated the third and the beginning of the fourth quarters before Hopkins rallied. Piccola's goal that started the // comeback was a blistering low shot through the legs of Rosier. Marr's goal was a runner assisted by Piccola.

Riordan's game-winner came off a pick, a play Hopkins has used and Riordan has scored off about 100 times during his career.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.