Fire damages New Windsor house

March 17, 1995|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

An accidental kitchen fire extensively damaged a two-story wood frame house in New Windsor Wednesday night and forced the two occupants to move out, fire officials said yesterday.

One of the occupants, Lisa Doan, 29, returned to the dwelling in the 300 block of Maple Ave. about 9 p.m. and saw flames shooting from a kitchen window. The fire apparently started from a container of grease left on the stove while the oven was on.

Fire officials said the blaze spread to cabinets above the stove and throughout the kitchen. The fire caused extensive damage to the first floor and extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the home.

About 40 firefighters from New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster battled the blaze for 20 minutes before they brought it under control and kept it from spreading to the upper floor, officials said. Firefighters remained at the scene for more than 2 1/2 hours.

Damage was estimated at $75,000.

William Shane Parry, 36, the other occupant, was not home when the fire was discovered. No one was injured.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.