Cab driver slain 2 women charged

March 16, 1995|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Sun Staff Writer

Two women have been charged in the fatal shooting of a cab driver during a robbery attempt last night in the 1100 block of Woodbourne Ave.

Pronounced dead at the scene from at least one .32-caliber bullet wound to the head was David W. Tidwell, 47, of the first block of Left Wing Drive in the Aero Acres section of southeastern Baltimore County.

The victim had driven for the Overlea Cab Co. for about four months.

Homicide detective Walter Akers said that he had recovered more than $200 from the driver's pockets and that it had appeared the man was killed before he could be robbed.

Charged with first-degree murder, attempted armed robbery and using a handgun in the commission of a felony are Crystal Brown, 24, of the 2200 block of Mura St., and Lena Andrews, 24, of the 4100 block of Echodale Ave.

Both women, said Detective Akers, were arrested about four blocks from the scene by Northeastern District police acting on information supplied by at least four people who witnessed the crime.

Harry Miller, a 45-year-old driver for Jimmy's Cab in Baltimore County and Mr. Tidwell's roommate, said Mr. Tidwell drove for Jimmy's for about four years before working for Overlea.

"He was a great guy," said Mr. Miller.

An Overlea dispatcher said he last heard from Mr. Tidwell shortly after 10:30 p.m. when he radioed that he had picked up two women in the 5000 block of Belair Road who wanted to be driven to a friend's house on Woodbourne Avenue.

That was the last anyone heard from the driver.

About 10:55 p.m., according to Detective Akers, Mr. Tidwell's cab, No. 1413, was eastbound in the 1100 block of Woodbourne Ave. when it crashed into a pickup truck parked on the south side of the street.

The impact turned the pickup truck around and slammed it into the rear of a second pickup truck, which struck a van. The van then struck a car.

Officer John Dodge of the traffic section said it appeared the cab was traveling about 40 mph before colliding with the first pickup truck.

Police believe that after he was shot, Mr. Tidwell's right foot pressed down onto the gas pedal, causing the vehicle to race forward before striking the first pickup truck.

A resident of 1100 Woodbourne Ave. reported looking outside after hearing the crash and seeing two women, one with a handgun, run from the scene.

When police arrived, they found Mr. Tidwell slumped over the steering wheel and bleeding from the head wound.

As police fanned out looking for the suspects, they spotted two women running down Glenwood Avenue. One of them, said Detective Akers, was removing some clothes when police stopped them.

They were returned to the crime scene, where at least one witness identified them.

Near where the women were stopped, police recovered a .32-caliber revolver they believe was used to kill the cab driver.

Detective Akers said Ms. Andrews sustained facial injuries and was treated at Mercy Medical Center and released into police custody.

He said Ms. Andrews, believed to be seated in the back seat, was injured when the cab crashed into the pickup truck.

At the scene, Mr. Miller described his roommate as a friendly man whose wife and children lived out-of-state.

Mr. Miller said that before Mr. Tidwell moved to Baltimore he was a chef in New Orleans.

"He cooked a lot of good meals for the two of us," Mr. Miller recalled.

Mr. Miller said he last saw his roommate around 8:30 a.m. yesterday.

"We talked briefly about how nice the weather was before each of us left for work," Mr. Miller said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.