Patrick E. TranterLegal Aid lawyerPatrick E. Tranter, who...

March 16, 1995

Patrick E. Tranter

Legal Aid lawyer

Patrick E. Tranter, who in 3 1/2 years as lawyer for the Legal Aid Bureau Inc. in Bel Air worked with neglected and abused children, died Sunday of pneumonia at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 37.

"He was someone who put his interest in helping people ahead of making money," said Rhoda Lipkin, chief attorney of the office, which represents low-income adults and abused and neglected children in Harford and Cecil counties. "He brought a lot to our office and work -- which can sometimes be depressing -- by helping us get through the day with his gentle sense of humor."

Mr. Tranter moved to Maryland in 1990. He was born and grew up in Philadelphia, where he was a 1975 graduate of Archbishop Ryan High School. After two years at the University of Pittsburgh, he transferred to Temple University in Philadelphia, earning a bachelor's degree in radio, television and film and in 1987, his law degree.

As an assistant director from 1988 to 1990 for American Law Institute in Philadelphia, he founded and produced "The Lawyers Video Magazine." He was a member of the American Bar Association, Philadelphia's Homeless and Housing Task Force and was active in the AIDS Legislative Committee.

A Mass of Christian burial for the Hunt Valley resident was to be offered at 1 p.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues, Towson.

Survivors include his parents, George E. and Dorothy T. Tranter of Philadelphia; a brother, Terrence F. Tranter of Emmaus, Pa; a sister, Dorothy A. Gallagher of Pocono Lake, Pa; special companion Dr. George Vranian, of Hunt Valley; and several nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be made to Moveable Feast Inc., P.O. Box 38445, 3401 Old York Road, Baltimore 21231. Joseph C. Gordon, Jr., former state coordinator of the National Association of Black Veterans and veterans' coordinator for Baltimore Del. Clarence Davis, died Friday at the Veterans Medical Center here after a stroke. He was 52 and had lived in Milwaukee the past two years.

The Philadelphia native came to Baltimore as a child. He was a 1960 graduate of Dunbar High School. He served in the Air Force from 1961 until 1964.

Mr. Gordon moved back to Baltimore in the early 1980s after working nearly 20 years at a veterans' hospital in Coatesville, Pa.

Services were to be held at 6:30 p.m. today at Ray of Hope Baptist Church, Harford Road and Parkside Drive.

Survivors include a daughter, Lisa Ann Hawks of Baltimore; his mother and stepfather, Flossie M. and James E. Boddie, both of Baltimore; a sister, Brenda J. Green of Fort Collins, Colo.; a stepsister, Christine Stevenson of Baltimore; and a stepbrother, Morris Boddie of Baltimore. Henry V. Davis, a retired surgeon and general practitioner in Chesapeake City, died March 9 of circulatory illness at the Laurelwood Nursing Home in Elkton.

Dr. Davis, who was 92, practiced in Chesapeake City from 1931 until his retirement in 1978. He was chief of surgery and chief of staff several times at Union Hospital in Elkton.

He was a member of the International College of Surgeons, the American Society of Abdominal Surgeons, the Cecil County Medical Society, the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland and the American Medical Association.

A native of Philadelphia who was reared in Berlin, he was a graduate of the Buckingham High School there. He attended St. John's College in Annapolis and the University of Maryland College Park before graduating in 1927 from the University of Maryland medical school.

He did an internship and residency at University Hospital, then was a surgical resident at James Walker Memorial Hospital in Wilmington, N.C.

A former senior warden of the Augustine Episcopal Parish in Chesapeake City, he also belonged to the Chesapeake City Lions Club.

Services were to be held at 2:30 p.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, a part of Augustine Parish, in Chesapeake City.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Eloise Howard; two daughters, Elizabeth Davis Pauley of Westtown, Pa., and Candy Davis Gant of Elkton; and four granddaughters.

Joan F. McDonald

Garrison Forest teacher

Joan Frey McDonald, a retired Latin teacher at Garrison Forest School, died Monday of cancer at her home in Upperco.

Mrs. McDonald, who was 63, retired in 1985 after 10 years at Garrison Forest. She had taught Latin at Boys' Latin School and Roland Park Country School earlier in her career, which began in the mid-1950s at Roland Park Elementary School.

She was born Joan Frey in Baltimore and was a 1949 graduate of Roland Park Country School and a 1953 graduate of Randolph-Macon Women's College in Lynchburg, Va. In 1975, she received a master's degree in classics and ancient studies from the Johns Hopkins University. She also studied at Schuler School of Fine Arts.

A memorial service was to be held at 4 p.m. today at St. James Episcopal Church, 3100 Monkton Road in Monkton.

She is survived by her husband of 40 years, James R. McDonald; a son, Reiley McDonald of Lexington, Ky., three daughters, Brooke McDonald of Princeton, N.J., Page Crosby of Parkton and Leigh McDonald Hall of Ruxton; and four grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial donations to Santa Claus Anonymous.

Leon Day, 78, the outstanding Negro League pitcher who was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame six days before his death Monday, will be buried after services at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at Central Church of Christ, 4301 Woodridge Road in the Edmondson Village area.

Mr. Day of West Baltimore died of heart failure at St. Agnes Hospital.

He is survived by his wife, Geraldine Day; two daughters, Barbara Jean Hart of Warminster, Pa., and Sarah Newkirk Clark of Tucker, Ga.; a son, Richard Wayne Newkirk of North Carolina; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.