Charles L. NolanBus company ownerCharles L. Nolan...

March 08, 1995

Charles L. Nolan

Bus company owner

Charles L. Nolan, president of Ridgeway Motor Coach Co. Inc., whose good deed on behalf of a handicapped passenger earned him a parking ticket and later praise from a Traffic Court judge, died Sunday of complications from a brain tumor at his mother's home in Hebbville. The Jessup resident was 50.

In 1980, driving a bus for Ridgeway, he parked the vehicle in a no-parking zone on Light Street in front of Harborplace to help an 89-year-old amputee off the bus.

The Light 1991 Street lot usually used for tour buses was closed because of preparations for City Fair, and rather than subject his elderly passenger to a dangerous trip across several lanes of traffic from a lot across the street, Mr. Nolan stopped his bus in a no-parking zone.

After helping her to a restaurant, he returned to the bus and found a $32 ticket on the window.

"It was designated -- I'm not blind -- 'No Parking Anytime,' " he told The Sun in an interview in 1980. "But I couldn't just put this woman off the bus. I had to get her to a seat. She was so exhausted by the time she got to the restaurant she couldn't eat. She looks forward to these trips. I don't want her to stop going."

Hearing of his plight, the passengers took up a collection to pay the ticket, but he refused to pay the fine.

"He went to court and was found not guilty," said his daughter, Charlene Nolan Myers of Westminster. "In fact, the judge commended him for what he had done, and there was no fine."

The tour bus company was founded by his father, Louis F. Nolan, in 1955. Mr. Nolan was a driver for 26 years and became president after his father's death in 1992.

"He loved the business and did it all. He was very outgoing and would do anything to make his passengers happy and have a good time," Mrs. Myers said.

He was reared in Catonsville and was a 1963 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School. He attended the Baltimore College of Commerce and Catonsville Community College and was a member of the Army Reserve.

His marriage ended in divorce.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Mark Roman Catholic Church, 30 Melvin Ave., Catonsville.

Other survivors include his mother, Margaret P. Nolan; a brother, David F. Nolan of Hebbville; and a granddaughter. Hannah Moffett King Irvine White, a retired nurse, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at the Presbyterian Home of Maryland in Towson, where she had been a resident since 1987. She was 88.

She retired in 1972 after 20 years as a private duty nurse. Before then, she worked for a physician.

Born in Buckingham County, Va., she was reared in Charlottesville, Va., and later Staunton, Va. After graduating from high school, she enrolled in nurse's training at Union Memorial Hospital, graduating in 1932.

She married John Glenn White in 1932, and the couple moved to his country home, Glennhurst, on the Patapsco River near Relay. He died in 1954.

She was a member of Catonsville Presbyterian Church and the Union Memorial Hospital Alumni Association.

Services were to be held at 7 p.m. today at Glennhurst, 403 Gun Road, Relay.

She is survived by two sons, John Glenn White Jr. and Philip Bigelow White, both of Relay; a daughter, Lucy Nicholas White Merrill of Relay; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Memorial donations may be made to the Presbyterian Home of Maryland Inc., 400 Georgia Court, Towson 21204; or to Catonsville Presbyterian Church, 1400 Frederick Road, Catonsville 21228.

Carmelo J. Diforte, a retired Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. official, died Saturday of a stroke at North Arundel General Hospital. The Severna Park resident was 61.

Mr. Diforte, who was known as Joe, retired in 1993 as director of operations for Annapolis, Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore after a 40-year career with C&P. He then became a consultant to Bell of Canada and MCI.

Reared near Clifton Park, he was a 1951 graduate of City College and earned his bachelor's degree in business from the University of Baltimore in 1962.

He served in the Army Signal Corps in Europe from 1953 to 1955.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at Our Lady of the Fields Roman Catholic Church, 1070 Cecil Ave., Millersville, where he was head usher at the 9:30 a.m. service and chaired the organ fund.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Loretta Morrow; his parents, Mariano and Lena Diforte of Baltimore; a son, David V. Diforte of Columbia; two daughters, Linda G. Diforte of Baltimore and Anne M. Crockett of Herndon, Va.; two brothers, Paul Diforte and Mario Diforte, both of Perry Hall; and two grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to Our Lady of the Fields building fund or to the American Heart Association, P.O. Box 17025, Baltimore 21203.

John Charles Rippel

Insurance underwriter

John Charles Rippel, a semi-retired insurance underwriter, died Sunday of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, at his home in Guilford. He was 69.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.