State police cruiser hit by bullets

March 08, 1995|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

A 37-year-old Dublin man was arrested after two shots were fired from an apartment window into a state trooper's cruiser about 5 a.m. yesterday and police were held at bay for more than five hours.

No one was injured in the incident.

Andrew M. Shenk of the 4200 block of Conowingo Road, U.S. 1, was arrested on charges of attempted murder, assault with intent to murder and reckless endangerment. He is a self-employed painter.

The apartment near Emma Rockey Park is about five miles south of the Cecil County line.

Yesterday's incident ended at 10:37 a.m. after a man walked down the rear stairs of the converted two-story house carrying a portable telephone.

"He stayed in constant contact with the duty officer at the Bel Air barracks, apparently very concerned that he would be hurt as he surrendered," said Mike McKelvin, a state police spokesman.

Mr. McKelvin said the bullets struck the rear of the trooper's car, entered the trunk and hit a box of flares. The flares did not ignite, he said. Trooper 1st Class Larry Gordon did not return fire but called for assistance, Mr. McKelvin said.

Troopers surrounded the apartment building and closed U.S. 1 between Cedar Church and Hughes roads for the duration of the standoff. The man made no demands and did not say why he had barricaded himself in the apartment, Mr. McKelvin said.

He said the man, ordered his girlfriend and her 6-year-old daughter out of the apartment about 5 a.m.

The woman called police and told them the man had at least two rifles.

Troopers, assisted by sheriff's deputies, were able to evacuate several people from the area but two residents living in the basement apartment of the converted two-story house had to remain inside.

"They tied a rope to their door to keep the man from getting into the basement and then hid in a closet or a bathroom," Mr. McKelvin said.

State police snipers could see the man almost every moment and were able to reassure the residents in the basement apartment that he was not trying to get to them, Mr. McKelvin said.

Constant contact

The duty officer at the Bel Air state police barracks called the man about 5:30 a.m. and was able to negotiate with him throughout the entire incident, Mr. McKelvin said.

"Hostage negotiators came to the scene but decided to let the duty officer continue talking to the man because a rapport already was established," Mr. McKelvin said. "Whenever the phone connection was interrupted, he even called the barracks back."

About 10:15 a.m., the man told troopers that he was sick and wanted paramedics to help him as soon as he came out of the house, the spokesman said. "His biggest concern was not getting hurt.

After the man walked down the rear outside stairs, troopers ordered him to lie on the ground, and he obeyed immediately.

Neighbors seemed to know very little about the man, other than to say they had seen him around and that he seemed to be a nice guy.

Mr. McKelvin said troopers did not believe the man was drunk.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.