Northeast dominates taller Forest Park, 76-22

March 01, 1995|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

The worries that Northeast coach Calvin Vain had about Forest Park's height going into last night's Class 2A East Region quarterfinal soon gave way to a different one.

How do you avoid embarrassing a team that commits 22 turnovers in the first quarter, doesn't make its initial field goal until after halftime and is clearly in over its head?

Northeast, seeded No. 3, dominated from the opening tap, holding sixth-seeded Forest Park to two free throws in the first half and taking a 76-22 victory that was more lopsided than the score indicates.

Sixteen of the Foresters' points came in the fourth quarter.

They made four three-point shots -- all line drives that earlier were bouncing off the glass or missing everything -- to finish 8-of-47 from the field.

They also had 46 turnovers, including 22 in the first quarter, when Northeast built a 22-2 lead.

Nine players scored for the Eagles (13-10), who advance to tomorrow's 7 p.m. semifinal at No. 2-seed Parkside.

Senior forward Marcia Gaskins had 20 points, nine steals and six assists off the bench.

Kristin Briggs contributed 15 points, five assists and four steals. Jen Johansen added 14 points, seven steals and six assists, and Kellie Frashure scored 10 points.

Forest Park's Christina Savage scored all eight of her points in the fourth quarter.

"They were just nervous," said Forest Park coach Joanna Langston, whose team finished 6-12.

"It's tough competition, but I thought they would do a little better than they did. It took them too long to wake up."

By then, it was too late.

Tyesha Lynn accounted for Forest Park's only points in the first half when she made two free throws with 1:51 left in the opening quarter. She banked the second one off the glass.

By halftime, the Foresters had missed all 18 shots from the field and were down 37-2.

Their first field goal came with 5:40 left in the third quarter when Lynn scored in the lane to make it 45-4.

"By halfway through the first quarter, we knew it was going to end up this way, so we just tried to play our own ball," Johansen said.

That led to 11 of 22 shooting from the field in the first quarter, mostly transition layups.

The only drama was whether Frashure would pick up her fifth foul before halftime, since her fourth came with 14 seconds left in the opening quarter. She stayed around until the end.

Vain wanted to make sure his players remained serious on the court, even if the game was a laugher.

And he hoped they could work on their half-court offense, but "they were giving us the ball so fast that everything was a total fast break," he said.

"It was very hard to work on half-court patterns unless you stopped your layup and came back out, and that looks pretty crummy, too," said Vain.

"This was just an uncomfortable game. We didn't want to embarrass them, but at the same time, I need to get my starters and my first couple subs some work."

The Eagles, who started off 6-1 before hitting a couple of rough stretches that included losses to sub-.500 teams Glen Burnie and Meade, were seeking a better test going into tomorrow's semifinal game against Parkside.

"Having such an easy win heading into what will be a tough game for us makes it harder," said Vain, whose team held a 36-26 edge in rebounding despite being much smaller than Forest Park.

"I'd rather have had a harder defensive game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.