Glenelg edged by Fairmont Heights

March 01, 1995|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

CHEVERLY -- Glenelg attempted to steal its way into the region semifinals. But Fairmont Heights would have none of it.

A wide-open Lonnie Procter knocked down a baseline jumper with three seconds left as the host Hornets edged Glenelg, 53-52, in a Class 2A South region quarterfinal.

The winding seconds ticked off the clock and most of the Gladiators fell to the floor.

"We tried our hearts out," Glenelg forward Suzy Mundy said. "There was nothing we could have done."

The Gladiators (12-11) finally settled their offense in the fourth quarter to stage a strong comeback.

Trailing 43-35 with 7:37 remaining, Glenelg found a seam in the Hornets' 2-3 zone near the foul line.

Five Gladiators contributed baskets in a 15-6 run, capped by a Cassie Brown jumper, that put them ahead 50-49 with 1:12 left.

It was Glenelg's third lead of the game, but its first since 1:35 before halftime.

Rochelle Luckett countered with

a basket to give Fairmont Heights (12-10) the lead again, 51-50, at 1:58. After both teams traded scoreless possessions, Jill Younce made a driving layup and Glenelg took a 52-51 advantage with 1:12 remaining.

Missing two shots, including an open layup, the Hornets fouled Kim Brown immediately on the rebound. With 17 seconds left, Brown's foul shot bounced off the left side of the rim.

Waiting for the clock to hit 10 seconds, Naronda Leggett penetrated off the wing but got caught in a double team. Leggett found a free Procter on the switch, and Procter converted the game-winning shot.

Procter produced 20 points and 13 rebounds.

"We counted on making that foul shot," Glenelg coach Randy Wallenhorst said. "Our man-to-man defense didn't stop the dribble at the end and we helped out."

The Gladiators, who have lost four straight and five of their last seven, stumbled through the entire


They missed five easy layups in the first half. They missed 10 of 14 foul shots.

Glenelg even got outhustled by Fairmont Heights, which had a 40-34 rebounding edge.

"They were so scrappy," said Cassie Brown, who led the Gladiators with 12 rebounds. "They put everything in going after the ball and they would get it."

The quicker Hornets used their speed early, running past Glenelg defenders. Leggett's outstretched layup in the middle of the Gladiators' defense put the Hornets ahead 12-4 with 3:46 left in the first quarter.

Glenelg later switched to a 2-3 zone to close down the driving lanes. This strategy worked temporarily as Glenelg held the Hornets to five points the rest of the half.

But Fairmont Heights restarted its slashing-style offense in the second half, holding the lead for a 16-minute stretch.

"We wanted to stop their dribble and it seemed that the zone worked for a while," Wallenhorst said. "We played well, it just came down to one shot."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.