Syracuse overcomes Georgetown, 76-75

January 31, 1995|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Sun Staff Writer

LANDOVER -- With Connecticut dominating the Big East Conference last season, the Georgetown-Syracuse meetings lacked some of the drama and impact of years past.

But with both teams chasing the Huskies for the regular-season title this season, their old feud flared anew last night at USAir Arena, and when it was over Syracuse remained the closest pursuer by edging the Hoyas, 76-75, before 16,352.

"This was a good old-fashioned Georgetown-Syracuse game," said Orange coach Jim Boeheim, whose team dropped from sixth to 10th in the Associated Press poll after losing to Connecticut last week. "It's been a little quiet in this series the last few years, but it wasn't tonight. Everybody was into this game."

No. 13 Georgetown (14-4, 7-3), was its own worst enemy in many ways, shooting 38.7 percent, missing 17 of 26 free-throw attempts and failing to put away the Orangemen when it had the chances.

The Hoyas had a 55-48 edge with 11:18 left and were tied at 66 at the 3:19 mark before their poor free-shooting caught up with them.

A rebound basket by John Wallace put Syracuse (16-2, 9-1) in front for good and two breakaway baskets against the Hoyas' press -- one by Dunbar High's Michael Lloyd, the other by Lawrence Moten -- clinched the verdict.

Allen Iverson (game-high 25 points) made the last of his three three-pointer on an in-bounds play with 0.9 seconds left to beat the final buzzer with Syracuse simply watching him shoot.

Georgetown had its largest lead of the game, 32-23, late in the first half before Syracuse staged a 15-4 run capped by a layup by Otis Hill just before halftime.

That pushed the Orangemen ahead by two shortly after it appeared they were ripe for picking.

"We missed a lot of layups, particularly early," said Georgetown coach John Thompson. "I think the kids were trying too hard. They were probably hyped up. And the second half, free throws killed us an awful lot."

The Hoyas' starting front line of Jerome Williams, Don Reid and Othella Harrington was especially ineffective on offense, combining to shoot five for 23 from the floor and four for 17 from the line.

Williams, who had 15 rebounds, said he believed the team "was rushing a little bit, not taking our time" from the free-throw line.

"In a big game like this, sometimes you're thinking about two plays down the road rather than what you're doing then. A lot of things can take you off the track."

At the finish, Iverson was engaged in a personal shootout with Orange senior Lawrence Moten, who needs only 75 points to pass Derrick Coleman as Syracuse's all-time leading scorer.

Moten hit a three-pointer to answer one by the Hoyas' John Jacques, penetrated and passed back out to Lucious Jackson, who sank another three, then twice drove for go-ahead baskets after Georgetown had tied it.

"When push comes to shove, I have to take the shots and I will," said Moten, a Washington native who raised his fists and gestured to the crowd during a break in the final seconds, drawing a warning from an official.

"Moten didn't have his best game, but he made the shots he had to," said Boeheim. "I want him to make those plays."

Syracuse finished with all five of its starters scoring in double figures and making twice as many free throws (18 of 24) as the Hoyas.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.