Fire damages farmhouse in Marriottsville

January 31, 1995

Members of a Marriottsville family were forced from their home Sunday morning when a two-alarm fire severely damaged their two-story, wood-frame farmhouse.

Officials from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office said Ethel Jackson and her three adult children lived in the house and are being assisted by the Red Cross.

About 40 firefighters from Sykesville, Winfield, Gamber and Liberty Road and Randallstown in Baltimore County responded to the blaze at 11:05 a.m. Sunday. The fire was under control in 25 minutes, officials said, but equipment remained at the scene for four hours.

The fire in the 2400 block of Snowden Creek Road damaged the kitchen and a second-floor stairway and caused heavy smoke and heat damage in the rest of the home. Officials estimated the damage at $100,000. No injuries were reported.

Fire officials have determined that the blaze was accidental, caused by a spark from a wood stove that ignited kindling stored in the kitchen.


* Sykesville: Sykesville assisted Howard County at a fire alarm in the 2600 block of Marriottsville Road at 3:20 p.m. Saturday. Units were canceled after 14 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.