Man charged in rape, abduction of girl, 3

January 31, 1995|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

A Glen Burnie man who has served time for kidnapping is being held in the county jail on $300,000 bail in the abduction of and sexual assault on a 3-year-old girl near her home Sunday morning.

Charles William Callahan, 43, of the 300 block of Highland Drive has been charged with first-degree rape, second-degree rape, first-, second-, third- and fourth-degree sex offenses, perverted practice, kidnapping, two counts of battery, malicious destruction of property and resisting arrest, according to Annapolis District Court charging documents.

The victim told police she was outside her apartment when the suspect picked her up and carried her behind a trash bin near the apartment complex, in the 300 block of Highland Drive, where they both live.

There, the girl said,the man put his hands around her throat and threatened to strangle her, then performed sex acts on her. Immediately after the 11:15 a.m. incident, the girl went home and told her parents what had happened, according to charging documents.

During his hearing yesterday before Annapolis District Judge Martha Rasin, Mr. Callahan said he had served a 10-year sentence for abduction in Virginia in the 1970s.

Mr. Callahan, who did not have a lawyer, urged Judge Rasin to set bail because he has always shown up for his court cases.

Judge Rasin told Mr. Callahan that if he is able to make bail, he will not be permitted to return to the apartment complex, where he said he has lived for two years with his mother.

"You are not to return there at all," Judge Rasin said. "Not on that street at all, and you are to have no contact with the . . . family."

Charging documents also allege that the suspect resisted arrest by punching county police Sgt. Ted Vanorsdale in the nose, breaking his glasses.

Sergeant Vanorsdale chased the suspect and cornered him under the stairs in one of the apartment buildings. When Sergeant Vanorsdale ordered the suspect to surrender, he "came out swinging," police said.

Two other officers helped subdue the suspect, inflicting injuries that required treatment at North Arundel Hospital, police said.

Mr. Callahan appeared in court on closed-circuit television. His left eye was blackened and swollen shut.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.