St. Anthony pulls away from Lake Clifton CHARM CITY CLASSIC

January 29, 1995|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,Contributing Writer

St. Anthony of Jersey City, N.J., won the Southeast bracket championship of the Charm City Classic, routing No. 1 Lake Clifton, 79-47, before a sellout crowd of 4,500 at Loyola College's Reitz Arena last night.

Anthony Perry scored a game-high 20 points to lead St. Anthony, which improved to 5-1 at the Charm City Classic and possibly earned a spot in next week's USA Today Super 25. Eugene Atkinson scored 18 points and added nine rebounds.

Friday, the Friars (14-2) defeated No. 2 Dunbar, 68-66, while Lake Clifton turned back Lincoln of Brooklyn, N.Y., 61-55, ranked No. 10 by USA Today.

The Lakers (13-1 and ranked 12th nationally), hoping to carry that momentum into last night's game, ran into a disciplined and methodical St. Anthony team that gained control in the first half and the Lakers never really threaten.

"They just executed well," said Lake Clifton senior guard Shanwta Rogers. "We were a little relaxed, maybe too much."

Rogers finished with eight points, shooting 3-for-15 from the field. Ronald Byrd scored 11 points for the Lakers, shooting five of 15 after scoring 24 in the victory on Friday.

Bad shooting was the story for the Lakers last night. Lake Clifton was 22-for-70 from the field, while the Friars converted 29 of 59 attempts.

Controlling the tempo was the other half of the story. St. Anthony's tenacious defense kept the Lakers from running and its half-court offense was just as effective, as St. Anthony's capitalized on many fast-break opportunities.

"This is the coming out for our team," said St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley. "When you have to reach back, and we knew coming in when you have Dunbar and Lake Clifton on back-to-back nights, if you don't pay attention to detail, we would be on the other end of those scores."

Leading 49-39 at the start of the fourth quarter, St. Anthony scored the first eight points, extending its advantage to 57-39.

A layup by Ajmal Basit started the run, then back-to-back layups by Pery were followed by two free throws by Atkinson, building the Friars' margin to 18 with 6:09 to play.

Most of the sellout crowd began leaving at that point as St. Anthony outscored the Lakers, 30-8, in the final eight minutes of play.

"They played very well and executed," said Lake Clifton coach Charlie Moore. "They got us to play at their tempo and once they got the lead, it was ballgame."

In their last meeting two years ago at the Charm City, St. Anthony routed the Lakers, 74-53.

The Friars led 4-0 to start the game after baskets by Delvon Arrington and Atkinson. Lake Clifton closed to within 6-4, but Michael Fry hit a three-pointer, extending St. Anthony's lead to 9-4.

After a jumper by Reggie Frazier put Lake Clifton to within 11-8 with 1:10 left in the quarter, a layup by Fry was followed by one by Atkinson off a steal by Basit, giving St. Anthony a 15-8 advantage.

Consecutive baskets by Atkinson to open the second quarter gave the Friars a 19-10 cushion. The lead held at nine at 25-16 with 3:18 remaining, then the Lakers awoke.

Butler hit a jumper from the top of the key, then Byrd followed with one from the baseline. Butler came up with a block that led to a short jumper by him, pulling the Lakers to within 25-22 with 1:48 left.

But the Friars responded by scoring the final seven points, capped by a layup by Fry with six seconds left after a Lake Clifton turnover.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.