Man shot during siege is accused of attempted murder of wife

January 29, 1995|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

A Norrisville man has been charged in an arrest warrant with the attempted murder of his wife and other counts tied to a standoff with Harford County sheriff's deputies at his home Jan. 10, authorities said.

The warrant also charges David Charles Kling, 28, of the 5100 block of Buttermilk Road with assault with intent to murder, with five counts of assault, and with battery, false imprisonment, reckless endangerment and weapons counts, said Sgt. Robert Richick, the sheriff's lead investigator in the case. Mr. Kling, who was shot in the face by a police sharpshooter, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in critical condition after the shooting. He remains in serious but stable condition there.

Sergeant Richick said Mr. Kling will be served with the warrant when he is well enough to understand charges.

During the two-hour morning standoff, Mr. Kling fired one blast from a shotgun, poured gasoline on his wife's feet and repeatedly threatened to set her on fire, the sergeant said.

The standoff ended when Mr. Kling was critically wounded by a sharpshooter on the Sheriff's Response Team.

SRT members promptly administered first aid and Mr. Kling was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center by state police helicopter.

Cathleen Kling, the man's wife, was severely shaken but received only minor physical injuries in the incident, authorities said.

Sgt. Edward Hopkins, a sheriff's spokesman, said that, if and when Mr. Kling sufficiently improves and is formally charged, he could be moved to a prison ward at the University of Maryland Medical Center while he continues to recover.

In a related matter, Sheriff Joseph P. Meadows, who ordered Response Team marksmen to use deadly force if necessary to end the standoff, said last week that Harford State's Attorney Joseph I. Cassilly has reviewed the incident and concluded that the shooting was "necessary and appropriate."

Sheriff Meadows said he would not reveal the identity of the marksman. "The order [to use deadly force] came from me," he said.

The situation was bad from the outset and got worse, the sheriff said. "The hostage was in extreme danger, so deputies did what had to be done."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.