75 Years Ago* That the authorities had the right clue when...


January 29, 1995|By Compiled from the archives of the Historical Society of Carroll County.

75 Years Ago

* That the authorities had the right clue when they arrested Ernesto Petenziani at Union Station, Baltimore, on the morning of Jan. 9, a few hours after the multilated body of Dementio Fabrizzio was found on the railroad tracks a short distance east of town, was borne out by the confession of the murdered man's wife on Monday, who claimed that she had been silenced up to that time by the threats of the alleged murderer, who had been a boarder of the Fabrizzio family for several years. On the day before the murder, she said her husband and Ernesto returned from work following a quarrel. It appears that Fabrizzio had suspected that Ernesto was paying attention to his wife and he wanted it stopped. The following morning they arose at about 5 o'clock to go to work. The woman prepared the breakfast for the men. Fabrizzio, her husband, left first, she said. As Ernesto followed, he took down from a nail a loaded shotgun. In less than a minute, she said, she heard the report of a shotgun. Ernesto, she claims, came back to the house dragging the body of her husband, which he left just outside the porch. It was then, she says, that Ernesto told her, "I have killed your husband. If you say the least word about it I will kill you. Later on we will go to Italy and live there." Ernesto then left, she said, and carried the body of her husband about 25 yards to the railroad track. Here the body was found later chopped to pieces by a heavy train that had passed over it. Ernesto returned to the shack within a few minutes and, taking off his clothes, he calmly went back to bed to sleep. -- Union Bridge Pilot, Jan. 23, 1920.

100 Years Ago

* Union Mills items: About 10 o'clock last Tuesday night, as Wesley Yingling was returning from this village to the home of his father, one mile distant, he was accosted by a stranger on a lonely part of the road, and a piece of tobacco demanded of him. This Mr. Yingling refused to give and the man then asked him if he had any money. "Yes," replied the plucky young man, "and I intend to keep it, too," and walked on toward his home. Mr. Yingling was not further molested, but when he reached his father's premises he noticed another suspicious character jump over the fence near the house and hurry down the road. . . . Since the news of the robberies at Pikesville and Carrollton, many of our people are preparing themselves for emergencies by having revolvers and shotguns within convenient reach in their bedrooms. -- American Sentinel, Jan. 26, 1895.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.