House fire kills couple in Roland Park

January 29, 1995|By Joan Jacobson | Joan Jacobson,Sun Staff Writer

A Roland Park couple, both 68 years old, died early yesterday when an apparently accidental fire engulfed their brick home on a quiet, winding street in Roland Park.

Baltimore City firefighters, called shortly after 4 a.m. to the home in the first block of St. Georges Road, found the bodies of Colin and Mary Robertson after quelling the fire.

Battalion Chief Hector Torres, city fire department spokesman, said the house "was fully involved in flames" when about 30 firefighters arrived.

The fire was so serious when they arrived that "there was no chance of rescuing anyone," he said. The victims were found in two bedrooms in the back of the one-story home.

Fire investigators were sifting through the debris yesterday to determine the fire's origin, which he said, "does not appear suspicious."

"They're trying to look at electrical systems and interview family members as to the habits of people in the house," he said.

Chief Torres said the couple may have been warned about the fire -- possibly by smoke detectors in the house -- because their bodies were not in their beds when firefighters found them.

"The entire rear bedroom was consumed. The fire went right through the roof, and there was extensive heat and smoke damage to the entire house," he said.

Yesterday morning, the home's front lawn was strewn with burned debris thrown out of the house by firefighters. The back of the house was charred inside and out.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.