Family escapes injury in fire at Taneytown house

January 25, 1995

No one was injured early yesterday when a one-alarm fire damaged a house on Baumgardner Avenue in Taneytown.

Taneytown Fire Chief James Salley said the fire in the first block of Baumgardner Ave. at 2:21 a.m. apparently started in a second-floor bedroom. A mother and two teen-agers escaped without injury, he said.

A state fire marshal determined that the blaze, confined to the bedroom, started from a candle there, Chief Salley said. Smoke and water spread to other sections of the house, and damage was estimated at $20,000. The dwelling was equipped with an electric smoke detector, but the woman in the house said the alarm did not work, Chief Salley said.

Units from Taneytown, Harney, Union Bridge and Kingsdale of Adams County responding to the blaze were out for three hours.

POLICE

* Taneytown: A resident of the 1900 block of Crouse Mill Road reported to state police someone entered his unlocked house and stole a chain saw Saturday. He estimated the theft at $300.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.