No. 8 Hall pulls away from Loyola

January 21, 1995|By Bob Clark | Bob Clark,Special to The Sun

Limited to 18 first-half points while shooting 24 percent from the field, No. 8 Calvert Hall awakened in the second half and outscored rival Loyola 50-28 to capture a 68-52 home victory before a standing-room-only crowd last night.

The victory improved the Cardinals' record to 13-4 overall and solidified their hold on first place in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference at 5-0. The loss dropped the No. 18 Dons to 11-6 overall and 4-2 in the MIAA. Calvert Hall is 3-2 in the Catholic League and Loyola is 1-3.

Trailing 24-18 at the half, the Cardinals outscored Loyola 20-8 in the third quarter, when the Cardinals' defensive intensity limited Loyola to five field-goal tries. The Cardinals dominated the boards in the quarter and had 22 field-goal attempts.

Still behind 28-23 with just over five minutes left in the third quarter, Calvert Hall gained momentum after Loyola coach Jerry Savage was called for a technical foul. John McKay, who led the Cardinals with 20 points, hit both technical free throws and then hit a three-pointer to pull the Cardinals even at 28.

A follow-up lay-in by Sam Anyan put Calvert Hall ahead to stay.

"We had controlled the game pretty well," said Savage. "But the technical came at a very bad time, and that was my fault. In the second half Calvert Hall just pounded us on the boards."

Calvert Hall added 30 points in the fourth quarter, and Loyola never got closer than six points.

"We were rolling early in the second half and that technical got us rolling even more," said Calvert Hall coach Mark Amatucci. "We changed a few things at halftime and that got us going a little. We wanted to dribble at their zone and that helped us."

The Cardinals also got strong second-half showings from Tavar Witherspoon with 13 points and Vince Williams and Juan Dixon, who each scored 12. Loyola was led by Mike O'Neill with 16 and Jason Vogtman with 14.

Calvert Hall raced off to a 9-2 lead in the first three minutes of the game as McKay hit on his first two three-point tries.

But Loyola, still trailing 11-5 with just over two minutes to play in the first quarter, closed quickly. The Dons scored the final eight points of the quarter to took the lead on two field goals by O'Neill and one each by Adam Shigley and Vogtman.

Calvert Hall, which hit just four of 13 from the field in the first quarter, shot even poorer in the second quarter, hitting on only two of 12. The Cardinals went nearly six minutes before making their first field goal of the quarter, a layup by Witherspoon to close the gap to 23-14.

But Loyola led 24-18 at the half after shooting 11-for-24 for the half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.