Mt. St. Joe gives demonstration of how to win handily to Curley

January 20, 1995|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

Archbishop Curley coach Alan Gebhart said he viewed last night's match with Mount St. Joseph as a learning experience for his team.

And St. Joe did plenty of teaching.

Top-ranked Mount St. Joe, coming off a nearly two-week layoff and a team-wide bout with the flu, took a big early lead and went on to a 42-21 victory over host Curley.

Mount St. Joe has had problems in recent weeks.

Coach Paul Triplett said the Gaels lost eight starters to the flu at one point and had not wrestled a match in 11 days.

Practice time had been limited, and Triplett thought the layoff showed at some points.

"I thought we wrestled a little sloppy," said Triplett. "I thought we should have wrestled better than we did. I was not pleased with our performance at all."

Still, Triplett did not have to worry about the match's outcome.

The Gaels took six of the first eight matches and had victory assured with three matches remaining.

Jon Pitonzo (103 pounds), Eric Schafer (119), Jake Lissau (125) and Dan Mattson (130) helped the Gaels get off to the good start.

Pitonzo started the match with a 6-0 decision over Tony Diem. Pitonzo took a 4-0 lead after one period. Two matches later, Schafer defeated Ken Willson, 8-3.

Lissau improved his record to 15-5 as he wrestled one of St. Joe's better matches. He took an early lead against Mike Boettcher and pinned him at 3:16.

"I went out there and I got fired up," said Lissau, ranked sixth in the state. "In the second period, I figured him out."

Mattson also figured out his opponent in the second period. Just 25 seconds into the second period, Mattson pinned Richard Widzbor for an 18-4 St. Joe lead.

The Gaels clinched the match a little later when Curley forfeited to three of St. Joe's top wrestlers -- David Inkman (140, 17-1), Tyran Dungee (145, 16-3) and Dan DeVivo (160, 17-1).

Inkman (second), Dungee (third) and DeVivo (first) all are ranked in the state in their weight classes.

St. Joe's other ranked wrestler, heavyweight Kenny Hunter (15-2, second), finished off the match by pinning Reggie McTeer at 1:12.

But Curley showed some promise in several different spots.

Bobby Lader (112) turned in a strong performance for the Friars in his 12-4 defeat of Marc Hoffman. Bill Curran (135) did much the same in his 6-1 victory over Mike Schaal.

Also for Curley, Ben Verner (152) scored an 11-1 victory against Ron Cooper.

After the forfeit to DeVivo, Mickey Glendon (171, 18-3) and Anthony Zakrzewski (189) scored the Friars' final two victories. Glendon pinned Dennis Ryan at 2:16, and Zakrzewski shut out Phil Lapkin, 8-0.

Gebhart said that this match should help his team for future meetings with St. Joe.

"We are a young team, and we don't have the experience to go with Mount St. Joe this year," said Gebhart. "Next year, we're going to go out and try to beat them."

* Old Mill 33, North Carroll 19: No. 3 Old Mill's winning score over No. 5 North Carroll didn't depict the kind of close match it was in Hampstead.

At one point, there were seven straight decisions, including two that went into overtime and another that was decided in the last seconds.

The Patriots (9-0) didn't pull away until Eric Donoway pinned Jason Simons at 171 pounds, giving them a 27-15 lead.

They clinched at 189 when Dan Patterson got six points on a forfeit with North Carroll's Brian Seabrease nursing a separated

shoulder. The Panthers are now 8-2.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.