Vikings rally past Wildecats

January 20, 1995|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Sun Staff Writer

Basketball teams usually only dream about the kind of comeback that Mount Hebron achieved last night against upset-minded Wilde Lake.

The No. 19 Vikings (10-3 overall, 5-0 league) rallied from an 18-point first-half deficit to win, 50-45.

They did it with a combination of intense second-half defensive pressure -- they held visiting Wilde Lake to 12 points that half -- and solid shooting.

NTC The team's two stalwarts, Patrick Ngongba and Kurt Jestes, led the comeback.

Ngongba (12 points, 16 rebounds) scored six points and had seven rebounds in the third quarter when Mount Hebron made a 17-0 run.

Jestes (20 points) scored seven points and made two steals that he converted into lay-ups in the third quarter. He scored 14 points in the second half and played denial defense against Wilde Lake's top scoring threat, Will Edison.

Mount Hebron trailed 33-19 at halftime, but was down only 37-36 after three quarters.

Todd Petrlik's three-point play to start the fourth quarter gave the Vikings a 39-37 lead that they never relinquished.

Wilde Lake's patient offense collapsed in the second half. After the Wildecats made 13 of 23 shots in the first half, they made only five of 30 in the second half.

Edison, who scored 16 points for the Wildecats in the first half, was held to two points by Jestes in the second half.

"I'm getting tired of almost getting the job done but not getting it done, and if we don't get some more intensity from our older players we're going to have to go with some more aggressive younger players," said Wilde Lake coach Paul Ellis.

Wilde Lake (5-7, 2-3) looked as though it would win by a huge score in the first half when Mount Hebron sank just four of 21 shots.

The Wildecats smartly worked the ball to open shooters, rebounded well and scored inside and outside.

"They had a good game plan," Mount Hebron coach Scott Robinson said. "They denied the ball to Patrick [Ngongba] and Kurt [Jestes]."

After Edison scored the opening points of the second half the Wildecats led 35-19.

But Mount Hebron took off on a 17-0 run and went up 36-35 on Jestes' three-point basket with 1:08 left in the third quarter.

"We're young and need to keep our composure," said 6-foot-7 Wilde Lake forward Carl Jackson, who battled 6-foot-7 honorable-mention All-American Ngongba. Jackson scored only six points but had 12 rebounds and five blocked shots.

"We lost our momentum when they made some baskets and we made some turnovers," said Jackson. "When the other teams makes a run we tend to run with them and we're not a fast-break team. But I blame myself for missing too many shots. I've been struggling with my shooting on the inside post."

Wilde Lake sank 18 of 53 shots. Mount Hebron made 16 of 47 shots. The Wildecats made 20 turnovers and Mount Hebron made 15.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.