No. 2 Hammond gets past No. 14 Hebron, 60-55

January 18, 1995|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

No. 2 Hammond escaped its second close call against a Howard County league opponent in a week, pulling out a last-minute 60-55 victory over No. 14 Mount Hebron last night.

The Golden Bears started the fourth quarter with a 10-point lead before Mount Hebron rallied to tie at 46 and 51. Rene Hines hit the game-winner, a turn-around jumper with 1:03 left, and Tiki Nicholson sealed it with both ends of a one-and-one for a 58-53 lead with 16 seconds to go.

Almost every game the defending county champion Bears have played this season has been a close one, including a 53-50 comeback win over No. 15 Howard last Wednesday.

"Once we get up by 10 or 12, I don't know whether we let up or we feel confident we have the game," said senior guard Tameka Harrison. "That's the only problem we have, but that could be the difference between the county championship and a tie or whatever. We just can't let them come back like that."

The win now gives Hammond (9-2 overall, 4-0 league) sole possession of first place in the league. The Vikings (8-4) drop to 3-1.

Last night, the Bears wanted to go inside as much as possible to 6-foot Kellye Townsend (16 points, 17 rebounds) and 6-1 Hines (11 points, 20 rebounds), because the Vikings had no one over 5-9 in the starting lineup and were missing forward Jenny Joyce, one of three Vikings out with a staph infection. Hammond ended up outrebounding the visitors 70-42.

That strategy helped the Bears break away with a 16-point run that lasted most of the second quarter. During that stretch, Hammond outrebounded the Vikings 15-7 and Harrison (14 points) had six points and fed Townsend twice.

The Bears' man-to-man and full-court pressure defenses forced five Mount Hebron turnovers in that breakaway capped by Harrison's 18-foot baseline jumper for a 24-13 lead.

Hammond maintained at least a 10-point edge into the fourth quarter.

"Then we just fell asleep," said Hammond coach Joe Russo. "We played no defense. They have a couple good shooters and they brought them back in the game."

Alisha Mosley (23 points) and Kathy Doyle (18 points) guided the Vikings back with their outside shooting. They also drove the lane against Townsend and Nicholson, who had four fouls each.

Doyle scored eight and Mosley four as the Vikings caught up with a 12-1 spurt through the middle of the quarter.

Doyle tied the game at 49 when she stole the ball from Townsend right under the Vikings basket, dribbled out and hit the 20-footer.

Monica White's follow at the other end put Hammond back on top, but Doyle answered by slicing through the middle for a layup to tie at 51 with 2:59 to go.

But at the other end, the Vikings left Harrison open for a 20-footer and Mount Hebron never caught up again. Doyle fed Renee Heersink to pull within 54-53 with 2:24 to go, but the Vikings couldn't get closer.

Hines hit her turn around, and Nicholson added the free throws for a 58-53 lead.

Mosley sank a driving layup and then fouled Brandy Peaker, who missed the free throw with six seconds left. But Hines picked off the rebound and added a buzzer-beating follow.

* Centennial 60, Howard 48: Kish Jordan scored 33 to lead host Centennial (6-6, 2-2) to an upset of No. 15 Howard (6-6, 1-3).

The Eagles took an 18-9 lead after the first quarter and extended its advantage to 34-16 at halftime.

Under former Mount Hebron coach Dave Greenberg, Centennial -- 2-20 last season -- already has tripled last year's win total.

* Glenelg 51, Atholton 46: Kim Brown scored 20 points leading Glenelg (9-3) past visiting Atholton (6-4).

Leading 23-19 at halftime, Glenelg outscored Atholton, 15-7, to extend its lead to 38-26. Lea Nichols had 12 points to lead the Raiders and Aisha Walnut contributed 10.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.