Teen mother charged in fall of newborn

January 16, 1995|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writer

A 17-year-old girl was charged as an adult with attempted murder and child abuse yesterday for allegedly throwing her newborn daughter out of a second-story window at her Severn apartment Saturday, police said.

A District Court commissioner ordered Michelle Elizabeth Savage, of the 1800 block of Meade Village Circle, held without bail pending a court hearing in Annapolis scheduled tomorrow.

Anne Arundel County police said they did not know why the 6-pound, 4-ounce infant, with its umbilical cord still attached, was thrown out of a window.

The unnamed infant suffered five skull fractures in the 18-foot plunge, but survived. She was listed in stable condition last night at the Anne Arundel County Medical Center. A hospital spokeswoman declined to say if the child's injuries were life-threatening.

Officer Randy Bell, a county police spokesman, said the child is in the custody of the hospital and will be turned over to the Department of Social Services when she recovers.

Neighborhood children found the crying infant about 3:30 p.m. Saturday lying on a storm drain between two apartment buildings in the Meade Village apartments.

Bettie McGhee, 64, who lives below the apartment where the infant apparently was born, said she was resting in bed when she heard a neighbor scream. "She said they threw a live baby out the window," she said.

Ms. McGhee said she looked out of her window and saw the infant. "She was a beautiful little girl. Her hands were going and she was crying." She said a 12-year-old boy wrapped the infant in a sweat shirt and carried her into a house across the street.

Police were called and took a teen-ager into custody. They said evidence found in the second-floor apartment led detectives "to believe the child had been born in a bedroom of the apartment."

The 17-year-old was treated overnight at the Anne Arundel Medical Center to ensure she did not suffer any problems from the birth, police said.

She was released yesterday afternoon and charged after being interviewed by detectives.

"It's a terrible tragedy," Ms. McGhee said. "I've never heard of anything happening like that in this village."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.