McGuthrie's 33 points leave Long Island sick

January 15, 1995|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Sun Staff Writer

EMMITSBURG -- Chris McGuthrie was supposed to be sick when Mount St. Mary's played Long Island University last night.

There was nothing sick about McGuthrie's play, though.

When Riley Inge got two quick fouls on him in the first two minutes, coach Jim Phelan sent McGuthrie into the game. He had been suffering with a cold and flu for days. Friday he left in the middle of practice because of the sickness.

But McGuthrie scored 33 points, his high for the season, and the Mount ran off to a 103-86 victory.

It was the Mountaineers' high point total of the season and their fifth win in six starts.

Mount St. Mary's is 7-7 overall and 5-1 in the Northeast Conference, its best start in the conference. Long Island is 4-9 and 2-3.

McGuthrie, a junior guard from Springbrook High in Silver Spring, made 11 of 23 shots, including four of nine three-pointers, and made seven of eight free-throws attempts.

McGuthrie was also sick last month when he scored 16 to help the Mount beat Loyola, 78-65.

"We're going to keep him sick," joked Phelan. "Maybe we'll inject him with some kind of virus."

Paul Lizzo, the Long Island coach, seemed skeptical.

"McGuthrie sure didn't play like he was sick," he said. "He has 33 points. Our top scorer, Joe Griffin, had 31. Those two were a push. It was Mount St. Mary's other kids that beat us."

Chief among those were senior forward Michael Watson, an outstanding 6-foot-4 leaper who had 19 points, and sophomore guard Silas Cheung, who made four of eight from three-point range.

The Mount perked up as soon as the 5-9, 175-pound McGuthrie entered the game less than three minutes into it.

He made a 15-footer to give Mount St. Mary's its first lead of the night at 14-13. Then he connected on a three-pointer to make it 17-13.

And then he made his third straight field goal on a fast break to give the Mount a 19-13 lead with 9:10 left in the half.

With McGuthrie -- the team's leading scorer (21.5 ppg) -- and Cheung hitting from long and short range, the Mountaineers ran up a 41-30 lead with 1:20 left in the half.

Cheung made a three-pointer to make it 44-30, then rammed home a dunk and it was 46-30.

In the final second of the half, the Mount's 6-11 Gerben Van Dorpe, a freshman from Belgium, made a 14-footer from the right side to put the home team on top 48-35 at the midway point.

Long Island never did get get back in the game, although it closed to within eight on a fast break layup by Griffin 5:15 into the second half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.