Lonnie D. JacksonCity firefighterLonnie D. Jackson, a...

January 14, 1995

Lonnie D. Jackson

City firefighter

Lonnie D. Jackson, a Baltimore firefighter who was active in his union, died Tuesday of a massive heart attack at Sinai Hospital. He was 52.

He joined the city Fire Department in 1967, after two years as a police officer, and was assigned to Truck Company No. 13 on South Carey Street for his entire career.

"Lonnie was a personal friend . . . of so many of the department's members," said Chief Herman Williams Jr. "He often went to bat for them in my office, and many firefighters owe their jobs to his efforts. He will be sorely missed."

The West Baltimore resident was the first African-American elected recording secretary of Fire Fighter's Local No. 734. He was also a member of the International Association of Black Fire Fighters, International Association of Fire Fighters (AFL-CIO) and Vulcan Blazers, a black firefighters' group, in which he was active in fund-raising efforts on behalf of firefighters' widows.

The Baltimore native was a 1961 graduate of Forest Park High School, where he played football and lacrosse. He enlisted in the Army and served as a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Matthew Roman Catholic Church, 5401 Loch Raven Blvd.

Surviving, in addition to his sister, are his wife of 30 years, the former Betty McNeil; a son, Lonnie D. Jackson III, serving in the Army at Fort Hood, Texas; two daughters, Monica Jackson Rice and Amanda Beth Jackson, both of Baltimore; three sisters, Carolyn Brown, Jacqueline Jackson and Norma Williams, all of Baltimore; and two grandsons.

Donations may be made to the Metro Fire Fighter's Burn Center Fund, P.O. Box 28480, Baltimore 21234.

Margaret O. Stewart Hoehn, who had been a secretary with Western Electric and later the Cavalier Shoe Polish Co., died Jan. 5 of a massive coronary at her Roland Park home. She was 83.

In 1940, she married William Hoehn, Cavalier's president, who died in 1980. After the company was sold to the Esquire Shoe Polish Co. in 1970, they moved to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Mrs. Hoehn returned to her native Baltimore in November.

She was a 1929 graduate of Eastern High School and Strayers Business College, and a member of Second Presbyterian Church, Baltimore Country Club, Maryland Yacht Club and Lago Mar Club of Fort Lauderdale.

A memorial service was planned for 1 p.m. today at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave.

She is survived by her daughter, Lynn Patton of Baltimore; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Memorial donations may be made to the Women's Resource Center of Mercy Medical Center, 301 St. Paul Place, Baltimore 21202.

Mary Elizabeth Lentowski, who with her husband operated Ted's Cafe, an East Baltimore tavern, from 1939 to 1949, died Jan. 7 of a heart attack at a nursing home in Eagle River, Alaska. She was 87.

The former Mary Elizabeth Mifkovic, a Baltimore native, was a graduate of St. Wenceslaus School. After her husband, Theodore Lentowski, died in 1953, she worked as a tailor for a men's clothing manufacturer and retired in 1973.

In 1988, she moved to Palmer, Alaska. She had lived in Glen Burnie since 1949.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower, Belair Road and Brendan Avenue.

She is survived by a daughter, Rita Russert of Palmer; a sister, Stephanie Burton of Parkville; three brothers, Frank Mifkovic of Towson, Stephen Mifkovic of Severna Park and Edward Mifkovic of Baltimore; and a grandson.

Edward C. Delaha


Edward C. Delaha, chief microbiologist at Georgetown University Medical Center for 35 years before his retirement in 1993, died of cancer last Saturday at his Silver Spring home. He was 64.

The Baltimore native was a 1949 graduate of City College who received a bachelor's degree in microbiology at the University of Maryland in 1953. He worked at the National Institutes of Health and the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission before joining Georgetown.

A member of the American Society of Microbiology, he conducted seminars at Georgetown and the National Institutes of Health and wrote a number of professional papers.

He painted landscapes, grew vegetables and, as a fan of University of Maryland athletics, was a member of the Terrapin Club.

A memorial service was to be held at 2 p.m. today at the Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda, where he was a greeter and usher.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Lois Claire Boesche; a daughter JoAnne Jersey of Eldersburg; a son,

TC Edward Alan Delaha of Towson; his mother, Evelyn Delaha of Havre de Grace; a sister, Sandra Winter of Carney; and twin grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial donations to the Lombardi Cancer Institute at Georgetown or to the Cedar Lane Unitarian Church.

C. Douglas McGee

Terminal manager

C. Douglas McGee, a retired terminal manager for an automobile transportation firm, died in his sleep Tuesday at his home in Lutherville. He was 66.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.