Arundel cruises by South River

January 13, 1995|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Sun Staff Writer

An early 13-0 run by No. 12 Arundel was an indication of what was ahead for South River in Gambrills last night.

The Seahawks jumped out to an 8-2 lead, but after the surge by Arundel, the Hawks never led again.

Bakari Ward scored 11 of his 29 points to pace the first period that gave the Wildcats (9-2) a 15-8 lead and put them on the road to a 94-70 victory over the Seahawks (7-3).

Arundel took a 42-32 lead to halftime and by the end of the third period led by 17 points (67-50).

"We've been playing well, getting that game experience together," said Arundel coach Gerald Moore, whose team had scored over 100 points on Tuesday at Southern-H.

"We had some tough games early, and lost to Broadneck, but now our leaders are stepping up, especially Kevin Higgins. Kevin's move to point guard this season has had a lot to do with our success."

Higgins, who had 16 points, nine assists and five steals, played shooting guard as a junior and was somewhat reluctant to move to the point.

"I sat Kevin down and told him that he had to play the point in order for us to win," said Moore, who moved the 6-foot-3 senior in the third game of the season.

"Kevin is a good ball handler, plays good defense and can score when we need him to."

Higgins fed Ward, the county's leading scorer (24.0 average) his first basket and the Cats were on their way. Ward missed his first three shots and hit his next three, including a three-pointer, and an 8-4 deficit soared to an 11-8 lead.

Marquise Farmer, who scored 18 points and pulled down 15 rebounds, tossed in six points while Darnarian McCants scored eight of his 11 points in the opening eight minutes.

"Marquise is really coming on because we make him work hard and he has adjusted to our way of doing things," Moore said of the 6-foot-5 senior.

"And Bakari . . . Purdue had the Big Dog, we've got the Big Cat. Believe me, he [Ward] has worked hard to get where he is."

Arundel couldn't push the lead any higher than 10 by the break despite early foul trouble for the Seahawks' leading scorer Russell Tongue. While Tongue, who came in averaging 16.8 points a game, did not score in the first half, Andy Meyers (22) and Corey Davis scored 10 points each and the Hawks held their own on the boards.

South River tied Arundel at 18 in first-half rebounds, with 12 coming on the defensive side, which kept the Wildcats from getting second shots. Arundel finished with a 39-32 edge on the boards and it showed on the scoreboard in the second half.

"We told the kids to make Russell [Tongue] and Davis, work for their points and it paid off," said Arundel assistant Brian Brown. "McCants had Tongue most of the time and did a great job."

Tongue was held to six second-half points and Davis, who came in averaging 16.3 points, scored 19, one shy of a career 1,000.

Arundel leads the county 4A League at 4-0 and while 3A South River does not count in the league standings, it was a satisfying win.

"Tongue and Davis killed us last year, but we are a different team this year," said Moore.

"We want people to come to us. We're confident."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.