Jean D. R. FisherHomemaker, volunteerJean Devries...

January 13, 1995

Jean D. R. Fisher

Homemaker, volunteer

Jean Devries Reifschneider Fisher, a homemaker and volunteer who worked in the early 1950s as a demonstrator for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died Tuesday of a stroke at Stella Maris Hospice. She was 66.

After earning her bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland College Park in 1950, she went to work for BGE demonstrating new appliances for customers.

"She was a member of a team of demonstrators dressed in high heels, hats and gloves who actually went to the homes of customers to show them how to properly use the appliances they had purchased from the gas company," said her husband of 44 years, William H. Fisher, a retired financial executive. "The team also put on cooking demonstrations and appeared on local he said.

Born in Baltimore and reared in Oakenshawe, she was a 1946 graduate of Eastern High School.

She volunteered at McDonogh School and the Hampton House National Historic Site and was a member of the Col. John Streett Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Woman's Club of Roland Park.

Mrs. Fisher enjoyed traveling and with her husband had participated in a number of Elderhostel programs. The Charlesbrooke resident also painted watercolors and was an accomplished quilter and needlepoint artist.

A memorial service was set for 10:30 a.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Carrollton and Boyce avenues, Ruxton, where she was a member.

In addition to her husband, Mrs. Fisher is survived by two sons, John C. Fisher of Upper Montclair, N.J., and David N. Fisher of Charleston, S.C., and three grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to Elderhostel Independence Fund, 75 Federal St., Boston, Mass. 02110.

Luke Sotos

Social Security employee

Luke Sotos, retired supervisor in the central translation branch of the Social Security Administration's foreign claims division, died Jan. 3 at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after being struck by a car New Year's Eve at St. Paul and 31st streets.

Mr. Sotos, who was 63, retired in 1989 after working at Social Security headquarters since 1961.

A native of Vounihora, Greece, he came to Baltimore in 1951, but served in the Army from 1952 until 1954 in Korea.

He was a member of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation and of the Worthington chapter of the American Hellenic Progressive Association. He also liked to collect stamps.

Services were planned for today in Athens, Greece.

He is survived by two daughters, Angelica Velasco of Maracaibo, Venezuela, and Michele Sotos of Baltimore; a brother, Elias Sotiropoulosi of Athens; and two grandchildren.

James L. Poetzsch

Commercial artist

James L. Poetzsch, a retired commercial artist who was also an abstract painter, died of cancer Monday at Sinai Hospital.

Mr. Poetzsch, who was 73, lived in Pimlico in a house that he furnished by trading paintings for household goods -- a deal that was the subject of a 1953 Life magazine article.

Before his retirement about 10 years ago, he had worked for three liquor distributors -- Quality Brands, Schenley, and, finally, Bestway.

Born in Baltimore and reared in Cambridge, he returned to

Baltimore to attend the Maryland Institute, College of Art, where he won two awards and had his abstract paintings exhibited before graduation. Some of his works also were included in exhibits at the Baltimore Museum of Art.

He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd. in Baynesville.

He is survived by his wife, the former Virginia Carper; a son, James T. Poetzsch of Baltimore; a daughter, Sara P. Rudd of Richmond; a brother, Paul H. Poetzsch of Charlotte, N.C.; and three grandchildren.


Shelia M. Maple

Laboratory worker

Shelia M. Maple, a laboratory worker who urged African-Americans to register as bone marrow donors after she had been unable to find a suitable donor for herself, died Sunday at the Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications of leukemia.

Miss Maple, who was 30 and lived in Northeast Baltimore, worked four years at Crop Genetics International in Columbia. Earlier, she had worked at the Back River Waste Water Treatment Plant and been a substitute science teacher at Woodlawn Middle School.

She had appeared on television after her search for a donor -- through the Friends of Shelia campaign started by relatives and others -- ended because the stage of her illness precluded a transplant.

Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of Northern High School and Delaware State University. She was a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at St. Mark's United Methodist Church, Garrison Boulevard and Liberty Heights Avenue.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.