Towson stands tall against Catonsville

January 12, 1995|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Special to The Sun

The Catonsville Comets brought their four-guard offense, aggressive defense and desire for recognition to Towson last night in hopes of pulling rank on the No. 11 Generals.

But after nearly 3 1/2 quarters of a close game, the visitors finished the game the same way they started -- a little short.

Towson's height advantage proved to be the difference as the Generals survived their biggest scare of the year in a 66-58 Baltimore County 1A-2A League victory.

Six-foot-2 center Katie Walker's 24 points and 19 rebounds led Towson (7-0 overall and league), which had a 44-29 rebounding advantage.

"We practiced throwing high passes and then me turning around and shooting at the basket," said Walker, who played just 28 minutes because of early foul trouble. "Today it really worked."

Catonsville first-year coach Mike Mohler said Walker's offensive show left him frustrated and even a bit bewildered.

"She was making everything and we were all over her," said Mohler. "I looked at the girls on their bench and I said, 'Who in the heck is that, the second-coming of Jabbar?' The girl was just making everything in sight."

Still the Comets (7-2, 6-1) held their own, forcing turnovers and converting them into points with guard Krista Bayne (19 points) and 5-11 forward Shannon Rexrode (14).

But after the Comets took their final lead -- 41-39 with 3:40 left in the third quarter -- Walker and forwards Katie Barnes (12 points) and Kerry Koch (16) helped slam the door.

They led a 10-0 run that gave Towson a 49-41 lead near the end of the quarter. Then, with Catonsville closing in midway through the fourth quarter, the trio lead another run -- 11-0 -- to put the game out of reach.

"I knew they were small and fast, and I knew exactly what they were going to do as far as pressing," Towson coach Bev Snyder said. "It's a good win for us. I'll certainly take it."

The first half was about as wild as it could get.

Behind Walker, Towson took a 10-4 lead in the game's first 4:31. But when the tallest player on the court got into foul trouble toward the end of the quarter, things finally started to go Catonsville's way.

"This was really the second game we've had that was pressure," Snyder said. "I expected what happened to happen. I knew we had it. It was just a matter of calming down."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.