Reverse mortgage can be a lifesaver


January 08, 1995|By Michael Gisriel

Q: I am interested in obtaining a "reverse mortgage" for my mother so that she can use the built-up equity in her home without selling it. How does such a mortgage work? And where can I get one?

Barbara Suite, Joppa

A: There are many seniors who are "house-rich but cash-poor" and may not be able to qualify for standard refinancing. In the past, the only option has been to sell the house and then either move to less expensive rental housing or, in many cases, move in with relatives.

The Federal Housing Administration has authorized a loan program called the reverse mortgage. For homeowners over 62, it converts home equity into cash.

To qualify, you must own and occupy the house as your principal residence, and own the property free and clear or, if there's a small mortgage balance or property lien, the reverse mortgage proceeds must be enough to pay them off.

With a reverse mortgage, the lender does not expect you to make mortgage payments. Generally, no repayment is due as long as you live in the home. When you no longer live in the house, the loan becomes due and the typical way to repay is to sell the house.

The proceeds from this loan can be received in the form of a line of credit, a lump sum (some of which would be used to pay off existing home debt), or regular monthly payments to you as long as you live in the home. You choose.

With a reverse mortgage, the debt with the mortgage company continues to pile up, with interest, until the loan is repaid. But no matter how high the debt is, your maximum obligation is the value of the house itself.

The reverse mortgage has upfront fees that are generally larger than those for a conventional mortgage. But for older homeowners who would like to keep their home and have access to the equity, it can be a lifesaver.

The Federal Reserve Board has recently proposed disclosure rules that lenders must provide during application. The rules are intended to prevent lenders from hiding fees within a relatively new and complicated loan.

For more information, call the American Association of Retired Persons at 202-434-2277.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.