* Founded: 1876 with gift from Johns Hopkins, a Baltimore merchant.
* Enrollment: 16,300 students, including 3,300 undergraduates at Homewood.
* Budget: $1.5 billion for current year, including $441 million for Applied Physics Laboratory.
* Employees: 18,453 (10,270 full-time) -- state's second-largest private employer behind Giant Food Inc.
* Faculty: 4,663 (2,244 full-time).
* Undergraduate tuition: $18,900 a year.
* Most popular undergraduate majors, class of 1994: engineering, 22 percent; biology, 20 percent; international studies, 9 percent.
* Locations: Homewood campus in North Baltimore, medical-related schools in East Baltimore, Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Peabody Institute in Mount Vernon (acquired in 1977), School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C., and Bologna, Italy, and program in Nanjing, China. Continuing education campuses in downtown Baltimore, Columbia, Washington, D.C., and Montgomery County.
* Chairman of the board of trustees: Morris W. Offit, New York investment banker.
* Endowment: $747 million, as of June 30.