Victim plays part in Carney capture of suspected vandal

November 30, 1994|By Dan Thanh Dang | Dan Thanh Dang,Sun Staff Writer

Joseph E. Rader not only discovered his truck vandalized Monday morning, but he also found himself wrestling a man whom police later arrested on charges of vandalizing his car and several others in Carney.

"I wasn't really worried about my safety at the time," said Mr. Rader, 44, of the 9000 block of Old Harford Road, who discovered his vandalized truck as he was leaving for work at 7:15 a.m. "But being as how it was my truck, I had a little bit of revenge in mind when I went chasing after him. I try to protect what is mine.

"I'm . . . old . . . but I can move when I need to," he said yesterday. "I wrestled with him in the yard after chasing him down, but then he got away and I scuffled with him again in the driveway. But then he completely got away."

But the wrestling match helped delay the man until Baltimore County police could get there.

A few blocks away, officers caught up with Russell Scott Miller, 21, who was charged with three counts of destruction of property and one count of battery, said Cpl. Kevin B. Novak, a county police spokesman.

Police also are searching for a second man who was seen with Mr. Miller that morning, Corporal Novak said.

Mr. Miller, who police said has no fixed address, was being held last night at the county Detention Center on $10,000 bail. Detention Center officials said state police had issued a detainer against Mr. Miller, but they had no details on the state's charges.

Corporal Novak said Parkville Precinct began receiving calls about 7 a.m. Monday that someone was vandalizing vehicles in the 9000 and 9100 blocks of Old Harford Road.

"There were 11 incidents of destruction of property to autos in all," he said. "You could almost follow the guy going down the street slashing tires and attempting to steal stuff from autos as the calls came in."

About the same time, Mr. Rader, who works for a car dealership, discovered that someone had slashed his tires, cut engine wires and stolen a number of items from his truck.

"I had gone over to my neighbor's to warn her that the guy was still loose when I saw a man walking up my driveway," Mr. Rader said. "I hollered at him, and the guy ran. I figured that was a good sign something was wrong, so I chased him and we scuffled.

"I don't feel much like a hero, but I do kind of feel like I did help the police catch up to him. It's not something I do every day. Needless to say, I didn't make it to work that day."

Monday was "definitely not a run-of-the-mill day," said Mr. Rader, who was not injured in the scuffle.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.