Man who helped bury body gets 6 months in jail

November 22, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Sun Staff Writer

An Easton man was sentenced to six months in jail yesterday in Anne Arundel Circuit Court for his role in the July 1992 burial of a man who died after a group of men harassed him.

Willis Lewin Usilton, 22, is scheduled to begin his sentence at 6 a.m. today, said William Roessler, deputy state's attorney.

Usilton, who helped bury Arch Baldwin, 62, after two of his friends found him dead, pleaded guilty yesterday to the charge of accessory after the fact. Although the maximum penalty for the crime is five years, Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. gave Usilton a 18-month sentence. He will allow Usilton to serve six months in a work program at the Kent County Detention Center and 12 months under home detention, Mr. Roessler said.

Normally Usilton, who lives in Kent County, would have had to serve his time in the Anne Arundel County jail, but Judge Thieme allowed him to serve his time near his home, Mr. Roessler said.

If after two months in the detention center Usilton abides by the rules, Judge Thieme will allow him to serve the rest of his time under home detention, Mr. Roessler said.

Two co-defendants, Adam Schlossman and Theodore Reshetiloff, both of Annapolis, were convicted of manslaughter March 2 by Judge Robert H. Heller. According to testimony, they harassed Mr. Baldwin, a retired Army veteran, poured beer and debris on him, pelted him with stones and urinated on him before pushing him into a wooded gully in the first block of Jefferson Place in Annapolis.

When Schlossman and Reshetiloff found Mr. Baldwin dead the next day, they waited until nightfall, then put his body on a sled, dragged it deep into the woods and buried it, according to testimony.

Usilton helped bury Mr. Baldwin while another co-defendant, Christian M. Walton, 22, acted as a lookout.

Walton, who also pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact, was sentenced in July to a year of home detention and 520 hours of community service.

Schlossman and Reshetiloff are both serving 18-month terms with five years' supervised probation.

Mr. Baldwin's body was found April 6, 1993, after an acquaintance reported the incident to Annapolis police. An autopsy determined that Mr. Baldwin died of a heart attack brought on by the assault.

Mr. Baldwin's widow, Ruby Baldwin, and his four children have filed a $30 million wrongful-death suit against the defendants in Anne Arundel Circuit Court. No trial date has been set.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.