Woman admits death plot

November 22, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Sun Staff Writer

A Pasadena woman pleaded guilty yesterday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to hiring an undercover detective to murder her boyfriend's ex-wife for $5,000.

Kathryn E. McLane, 30, of the 8700 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd. could be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. will sentence her on Jan. 23.

McLane has accused her boyfriend's ex-wife, Dorinda Hughes, of battery and trying to break into her apartment on Oct. 31, according to a warrant filed in Annapolis District Court.

Judge Thieme ordered McLane, who has been free on $50,000 bond since her April 7 arrest on a charge of soliciting to commit murder, and Ms. Hughes of Severna Park to have no contact with each other. McLane will remain free until sentencing.

"The ex-husband is still the boyfriend of the defendant, and he is still the father of the victim's son," Judge Thieme said.

Frank Weathersbee, Anne Arundel County state's attorney, prosecuted the case and said Ms. Hughes did not try to initiate contact with McLane.

Ms. Hughes would not comment on the accusations against her but said she was pleased that McLane had pleaded guilty and that she did not have to go through a trial.

According to charging documents filed in Circuit Court, county police homicide investigators were tipped off to the plot on March 21, when an anonymous male caller told them a woman named Kathy wanted someone to kill a Severna Park woman.

The caller gave detectives Kathy's phone number. Detective William Lee Corbett called the number March 22. He talked to a woman, who identified herself as Kathy and suggested he would kill the woman for her. Two days later, Detective Corbett again called the woman, and McLane arranged to meet him that day in the parking lot of BJ's Warehouse on Ritchie Highway, according to court papers.

During their meeting, McLane told the detective about Ms. Hughes, whom she wanted out of the way. Detective Corbett asked her whether she wanted him to scare Ms. Hughes or kill her. According to court papers, McLane said: "I don't want her around anymore."

McLane gave the detective Ms. Hughes' address and phone number and told him about the home's alarm system. She agreed to pay him $5,000 in installments of $2,500. All the conversations between McLane and Detective Corbett were taped.

Also during that meeting, McLane told Detective Corbett that Ms. Hughes had received death threats from another person. Ms. Hughes said she had received those threats because she turned in a man she thought had embezzled $1 million.

After Detective Corbett met with McLane, police called Ms. Hughes and told her of the plot. The officers told her to act normal, and she did, even allowing McLane to attend a birthday party for her son.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.