Committee reviews plan to upgrade radio dispatch system

November 21, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

Members of the Carroll County Radio Replacement Committee met last week to evaluate the only bid received to replace an antiquated radio dispatch system with a new 800 megahertz communication system for police, fire and other government agencies.

Jay Nave, co-chairman of the committee, said the only bid received by the deadline, Oct. 19, was from Motorola and arrived in five large three-ring binders.

He called it a well-engineered plan. The bid was for $8.4 million, higher than expected by county planners.

Mr. Nave, administrative assistant of the county roads operations bureau, said county planners had estimated the cost at just over $7 million, and the committee would begin searching for ways to reduce the Motorola bid.

"The bid meets our specifications, but there are some items in the bid that are above our specifications and can be eliminated," Mr. Nave said.

Two other communications companies, which initially indicated an interest in bidding on the contract, did not respond on time and requested an extension until December, according to J. Michael Evans, director of the Department of General Services. The extension was not granted, he said.

The new high-tech system will serve all government agencies in the county and allow them to communicate with each other when necessary, according to Howard S. "Buddy" Redmen, chief of the Bureau of Emergency Services Operations.

Upgrading the present system, much of which was built and installed in the 1950s, will eliminate the many "dead" spots around the county where emergency workers cannot hear or communicate with dispatchers.

No date was given for when a new system could be in operation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.