25 Years Ago (week of Nov. 9-15, 1969)* Oakland Mills...


November 20, 1994|By Diane Mullaly

25 Years Ago (week of Nov. 9-15, 1969)

* Oakland Mills Village Center opened this week. The village center, Columbia's second, was built on the site of a farm where Dorothy Owings had raised purebred Holsteins. Two dairy barns and a silo from the farm were incorporated into the center. One barn was to be a community center. The second, named the Orange Propeller, housed recreation facilities for young people.

* Nearly 3 million gallons of water flooded roads in the Waterloo-Montgomery Road area when five fire hydrants were opened by vandals.

50 Years Ago (Week of Nov. 12-18, 1944):

* The Emory Methodist Church in Ellicott City observed its 108th anniversary with a commemorative service conducted by the Rev. Turnbull Spicknall.

Information for this column was compiled by Diane Mullaly from the files of the Howard County Historical Society's Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.