Glenelg Country falls in final, 1-0

November 13, 1994|By Jamison Hensley LTC | Jamison Hensley LTC,Contributing Writer

Glenelg Country School had everything -- the relentless offensive pressure, a vocal partisan crowd and even a 6-foot Dragon mascot roaming the sidelines.

Everything except a goal.

Seton Keough got an opportunistic goal from Beth Sokol with 6:20 left in the first half to steal the Association of Independent Schools B Division tournament championship with a 1-0 victory over top-seeded Glenelg Country School.

That goal was Seton Keough's last shot of the game. The third-seeded Gators overcame disadvantages of 12-2 in shots and 14-3 in penalty corners to win their first AIS title.

Positioning herself in an open space in front of the goal, Sokol received a crossing pass through a crowd from Katie Sparks and slammed in the game-winner. Before that goal, the Dragons had the ball in Seton Keough's territory for six straight minutes.

"It kind of bounced around on the ground and off of people's feet," said Sokol, a senior forward. "I just had to keep my stick low to the ground. It was a perfect shot."

But the constant pressure seemingly never singed Seton

Keough senior goalkeeper Celia Ashton. She made 11 stops in the shutout.

The closest moment occurred with 2:54 remaining in the game. Ashton made an initial save and kept her focus and positioning to deflect the rebound shot.

"We held them out there," said Ashton, who averaged nearly 14 saves per game. "That was our main objective. We did what we had to out there."

While the Dragons' best opportunities came near the end of the contest, Glenelg Country School did have scoring chances early.

Less than two minutes into the game, junior forward Carrie Everett couldn't get a shot past an isolated Ashton. Then 18 minutes later, the Dragons failed to convert on three consecutive penalty corners.

The lopsided control by Glenelg continued in the second half as the Gators. Seton Keough didn't get over midfield that half until 11:28 left.

Seton Keough showed the best way to slow the Dragons was to stop leading scorer Allison Hoke. Shadowing Hoke, Sparks only allowed Hoke to run free once.

Hoke broke through the defense and had a clear one-on-one situation with Ashton. However, Ashton charged out of the goal seven yards and kicked away the shot.

That was the first of four saves in the last six minutes by Ashton.

"It was tense at the end," Ashton said. "But that just pumped me up more."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.