Calvert Hall gets lucky bounce, 1-0

November 13, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

Calvert Hall coach Bill Karpovich believed that fate had not been kind to his team's offense in recent days.

The Cardinals could not score against Archbishop Curley, lost to Gilman and needed to go to penalty kicks to defeat Loyola. Karpovich said the Cardinals had been unlucky on offense.

Last night, however, the Cardinals' luck changed.

A loose ball bounced to Calvert Hall's Dave Federline in front of the goal, and the senior kicked it into the empty net with 13:45 remaining to give the third-ranked Cardinals a 1-0 victory over second-ranked Archbishop Curley in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference championship game at UMBC Stadium.

Counting its titles in the old Maryland Scholastic Association, Calvert Hall (19-2-3) has won eight championships in the last 10 years. The Cardinals lost to Curley (17-2-1) in last year's title game.

Boys' Latin used second-half goals from Mike Smith and David Rose just 1:46 apart to defeat Friends, 2-1, in the MIAA B Conference championship. Rose scored the winning goal with 9:27 remaining.

Calvert Hall had many scoring chances -- outshooting Curley, 20-7 -- but couldn't convert until Federline found some good fortune.

And that happened when Curley goalie Brad Bush scooped up a through ball about five yards in front of the goal. Bush bobbled and then dropped the ball, which bounced right to Federline only a few steps away from the goal.

"The goalie just dropped it," said Federline. "I was just running in because he had dropped a couple of balls."

The earlier chances came fast and furious for Calvert Hall. Ryan Smith, Jeff Link and Federline came up with good shots for the Cardinals, who repeatedly pressured. In the second half, they took 12 shots before Curley even got one -- and it took the Friars nearly 37 minutes to do that.

"We've been unlucky on offense," said Karpovich. "I [said] to keep making the runs, keep taking the shots."

That turned out to be the problem for Curley. The Calvert Hall defense completely shut Curley. Rusty Brown and Gus Themelis shadowed top scorer Giuliano Celenza (15 goals, seven assists) and held him without a shot.

"We just couldn't generate any offense," said Curley coach Pep Perrella. "They took it to us, they didn't give us any openings. This was our poorest outing of the year."

This was the third meeting between the two this season. Curley won the first and tied the second.

Karpovich and his team remembered last year's title game, where Curley topped the Cardinals. The Cardinals had been pointing to this game, and Karpovich said he loved having the championship trophy once more.

"It's back where it belongs," said Karpovich, who has won 17 titles in 28 years.

In the first game, Boys' Latin won its first title in seven years. The Lakers, who fell behind when Trevor Soponis scored on Friends' first shot, rallied in the second half.

Boys' Latin (15-1-3), who outshot Friends (11-7) by 26-7, repeatedly pressured the Quakers and finally broke through when Smith scored a high shot from 10 yards with 11:13 left in the game.

Rose then won it on the Lakers' next shot. A loose ball carried to Rose in the box, and he fired a shot over goalie Jon Yeager (12 saves).

"I got the ball, and I just hit it as hard as I could with my left foot," said Rose of his 15th goal this season. "I didn't even look. I knew it was going in."

Boys' Latin coach Butch Maisel said his team played a bit too fancy in the first half. He said the Lakers played better in the second half once they got back to basics.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.