Boys' Latin ousts Severn, 2-0, to reach final

November 11, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Boys' Latin senior Michael Smith didn't want to play his final high school soccer game yesterday on the Lakers' A.M. LeBrun Field.

Like the rest of his teammates in the Class of '95, Smith preferred to play his career finale on the road at UMBC Stadium. So he went out and did something about it.

Smith assisted on the only goal of the first half and then scored the lone second-half goal to help the Lakers to a 2-0 win over Severn (9-5-2) in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference semifinals.

For their efforts, the Lakers (14-1-3) earned a date with Friends, a 2-1 winner over St. Mary's in yesterday's other semifinal matchup. The two teams will meet at 3 p.m. Saturday at UMBC for the first MIAA B Conference championship.

"Mike Smith wanted this game more than anybody today," said Boys' Latin coach Butch Maisel, who saw his team lose to the Admirals, 3-2, in overtime, just nine days earlier.

"He's been here four years and he's never been to The Show and he came up big for us."

With the setting sun blazing in the Severn goalie's face in the first half the Lakers controlled the midfield and kept the ball down around the Admirals' net.

Boys' Latin's relentless pressure finally reached the boiling point in the 24th minute when senior Jason Quenzer took a pass from Smith, side-stepped a defender and beat Severn keeper Brian Zaks to the far left post.

With the sun in their faces in the second half, the Lakers did the wise thing and kept the ball down in the shaded area near Severn's goal.

After misfiring on five kicks at the net, the Lakers used their heads and spread the margin to 2-0.

Senior Chris Turner sent a head shot wide right of the goal but Smith, with his back to the goal, used his head to redirect the shot into the lower right corner of the net.

Severn, which advanced to the semifinals by pounding Park, 4-1, turned up the heat with five minutes remaining, but a series of shots by Chris Fuller and Brian Smith were turned away by Boys' Latin goalie Graham Oglesby (two saves) and sophomore defender Noah Mumaw.

"Noah's save was big," said Maisel, adding how impressed he was with the play of Zaks (nine saves). "If they score there, it's a whole new ballgame. Noah sacrificed his body."

Mumaw's save and another by senior fullback Ward Smith, helped Boys' Latin preserve its third consecutive shutout and a school-record ninth of the year.

"It was the men against the boys today and the men won," said Severn coach Marc Osterberger, referring to Boys' Latin's senior-laden squad. "They may have had superior skill, quickness and speed but the biggest difference was their age."

"We had three seniors on our squad and none of them wanted to see their season end today," said Osterberger. "We had some chances today but for us to beat a team like this I knew we would have to make the most of every chance we got and we didn't."

And Michael Smith did.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.