Glenelg Country nips Oldfields in OT to reach first title game

November 11, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

Yesterday, Glenelg Country School's field hockey team ran into a different Oldfields team than the one the Dragons had rolled over three weeks ago.

This time, Oldfields pushed the Dragons to the last eight seconds of overtime before Allison Hoke gave top-seeded Glenelg a 2-1 victory in an Association of Independent Schools B Division tournament semifinal.

The Dragons (11-2-1) will make their first appearance in an AIS championship game Saturday at 2 p.m. at St. Paul's. They will meet Seton Keough, a shootout winner over John Carroll.

To reach the title game, the host Dragons had to hold off a furious Oldfields assault early in the five-minute overtime period played with seven girls on a side.

Oldfields (2-9-2) went on attack right away with Holly Perzynski sending a sharp pass across the cage barely out of reach of Caroline Jones. After Glenelg broke up an Oldfields corner play, Jones narrowly missed again with a wide shot.

"We weren't marking one-on-one," said Dragons defender Robin Zimmerly. "We kind of set up on an offense-defense thing and they were pushing their attack. Once we realized we all had to come down for it, we did better."

On the counterattack, Glenelg moved the ball down the left side and challenged several times, including on a corner. Jessica Brendel started the scoring sequence taking a shot that Liberty Mullen stopped, but the ball came right back in as Hoke finished it off.

"They don't give up," said Mullen. "I stopped and she kept going. They're very good at keeping it moving. They've got a couple of really good, extremely aggressive players."

One of those aggressive players, wing Carrie Everett, gave the Dragons the early lead. Always a threat on the break, Everett carried the ball into the circle and nailed a goal with 9:47 left in the first half.

Oldfields had plenty of chances, especially with seven penalty corners to three for Glenelg. But Zimmerly upset one Oldfields threat after another and the ones she didn't stop, Brendel, Laura Mulitz or Joyelle McCullogh did.

The Dragons defense was out of sync only once during regulation, and that cost them the goal. Just three minutes into the second half, Jones scored during a Glenelg defensive substitution.

Zimmerly had to sit out a play after picking up a yellow card for a high stick. As she returned, passing her fill-in Kiron Mallya on the sideline, Oldfields surged into the circle. Down a defender, Glenelg could not hold off Jones.

The Dragons were not surprised at the improvement in Oldfields, which shared the B Division tournament championship last year.

"We expected them to want it really badly and probably have improved a whole lot," said Hoke, whose team previously had beaten Oldfields 4-0. "But they improved 10 times more than I thought they would. We were nervous about that but we had confidence because of the game before."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.