Elkton gets past Pikesville

November 08, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

Pikesville's offense could not have asked for much more than 18 penalty corners and a couple of penalty strokes in yesterday's state Class 2A field hockey semifinal.

But the No. 4 Panthers never put the ball in the cage even though they took an early 1-0 lead before falling to Elkton, 2-1, at Goucher College.

Their goal was a gift from Elks goalkeeper Linda Wilson. Facing the first penalty stroke 10 minutes into the game, Wilson moved off the line too soon. Even though Stephany Flax's shot soared over the cage, the Panthers (15-1) were awarded the goal on the keeper's infraction.

Not even that break could spark the struggling Panthers, who had scored 63 goals during the regular season.

"That weird goal just seemed to . . . I don't know what," said Pikesville coach Tim Fowler. "It was almost like we didn't feel we deserved the goal. It was like, oh, this isn't fair. We did not go after them. We kind of backed off.

"But Elkton played a great game. They were really good, very aggressive," said Fowler, whose team also was eliminated in the state semifinals last year. "Again, we came up against a team that was faster than us and we're not used to it, but we were handling it."

Instead of helping the Panthers, the goal ignited the Elks (12-3) even though they didn't score until late in the second half.

"We were upset that they called it a goal, so that made us want to win more," said Elks midfielder Jeana Brentlinger. "We need something to motivate us."

Brentlinger came flying out of the cage to upset most of Pikesville's five remaining second-half corners and Wilson made a point-blank save on a Flax shot.

But the rest of the half belonged to the Elks, who had nine of their 21 penalty corners in the final 15 minutes. Like the Panthers, the Elks never managed to score on a corner play.

The Elks also survived another penalty stroke, eight minutes into the second half. Melissa Sugar fired her shot right at Wilson, who made the save.

The Elks finally tied the game on a surge in front of the goal with 9:30 left in the game. Lindsay DiEmedio scored on a short pass from Michelle Rudy.

Less than five minutes later, Kati Fernau added the game-winner after Brentlinger's crossing pass was deflected right to her for the high tap-in.

The Baltimore County champion Panthers, who had not allowed two goals in a game all season, kept the ball in their half for the final five minutes, but could not score despite four corners.

"We were 15-0 until today," said Panthers defender Laurie Better. "That's not anything to be ashamed of. It's just too bad we couldn't have gone all the way."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.