City pulls away from Edmondson

November 05, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Sun Staff Writer

City coach George Petrides usually leaves the scouting of opponents to his assistants, but he's glad he scouted Edmondson before playing host to the Redskins yesterday.

"I saw they had one of the best defenses we've seen," Petrides said after the Knights (8-1) had won a 24-12 decision. "I fully expected this to go down to the wire."

Damian Beane (20 carries, 123 yards) had touchdown runs of 24 and 14 yards in the game's final three minutes as No. 7 City broke a 12-12 tie to keep its 3A state playoff hopes alive and damage Edmondson's bid to reach the 4A postseason after going 0-10 last year.

Beane's first score capped a seven-play, 73-yard drive and came one down after a controversial pass-interference call against Edmondson's Samuel Scott.

City faced fourth-and-five at Edmondson's 39 when Scott, facing away from his end zone, tumbled over wide receiver Warren Smith, who had fallen to the ground.

"Our feet got tangled up, so I figure I get the call as the offensive player," said Smith, whose interception on Edmondson's next series set up Beane's final score.

"City played a great game, but that pass interference deflated us," said Edmondson coach Pete Pompey. "Our kids played [hard], but [officials] took it away."

The Redskins (7-3), led by linebacker Brian Moss (14 tackles), had held City to 103 of its 264 total yards in a first half that ended in a 6-6 tie. The Knights went up 12-6 with 4:45 left in the third period after a 1-yard scoring run by Taber Small (115 yards, 21 carries) ended a 16-play, 82-yard drive.

L Edmondson hurt itself on several occasions in the first half.

Its game-opening drive covered six plays and 51 yards for a third-and-two at City's 22 before a pitch by Mike Gamble sailed behind Corey Brown (12 carries, 49 yards), who recovered at City's 49.

Edmondson punted, and City's ensuing drive appeared to have stalled after covering 36 yards and after an incomplete pass at Edmondson's 20. But an Edmondson player was penalized for taunting, and City was awarded a first down at Edmondson's 29.

City led, 6-0, six plays later as Jemini Jones' 1-yard run capped a 14-play, 86-yard drive with 10 seconds left in the first period.

Edmondson struck quickly, however, with David Merritte (11 carries, 93 yards) tying the game on his first touchdown, from 19 yards, with 9:46 left in the half.

Charles Wilson helped sustain the drive with a 12-yard catch along the sidelines, but dropped the conversion pass. Merritte tied the game again on a 4-yard run that capped an eight-play, 50-yard drive eight seconds before the fourth period.

Dalontia Gaines' interception gave Edmondson the ball at its 48 with 7:17 left, but Edmondson couldn't move the ball and had to punt, leading to the Knights' game-winning drive.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.