Oakland Mills upsets No. 8 Wilde Lake

November 03, 1994|By Chuck Acquisto | Chuck Acquisto,Special to The Sun

After Oakland Mills upset eighth-ranked Wilde Lake, 1-0, in yesterday's 1A-2A South regional playoff game at Howard High, Scorpions coach Steve Matters searched the celebrating crowd of players for his starting goalie, Nyiesha Ford.

"That was awesome," Matters exclaimed as he found the sophomore keeper, bearhugging Ford for her outstanding job in the net and her third straight shutout.

Oakland Mills (8-4-1) got a second-half goal from junior striker Ginny Dye, her 14th of the season, and four saves from Ford to end Wilde Lake's season at 8-4-1.

Oakland Mills will play the winner of Great Mills and Chopticon tomorrow at Glenelg High.

Making the upset all the more unlikely was the fact Oakland Mills was without its No. 2 scorer, junior striker Antoinette Bwalya (nine goals, 11 assists), who reinjured her sprained ankle last weekend playing for her club team, the Columbia Lazers.

Bwalya's playing status is doubtful for the rest of the tournament.

Oakland Mills advanced to the South regional quarterfinal game thanks to Ford's second-half save of a Wilde Lake free penalty kick with 16:06 left.

"I think we're going to take it all the way to states," Ford said.

"We all had our doubts about this game, but we proved that if you come together as a team, and not play as individuals, you'll make it."

Trailing 1-0 midway through the second half, Wilde Lake mounted an offensive surge when Oakland Mills was whistled for a tripping penalty. Wildecat senior midfielder Kristin Riismandel took the free shot from 10 yards.

"That was my first penalty kick this year. I just looked at the way she [Riismandel] lined up, straight on to the ball," said Ford, who snared Riismandel's shoulder-high blast with a dive to her left.

"Best feeling in my life. Heart beating 100 miles per minute. I'm thinking, 'Oh wow!' I wouldn't have given it up for anything."

Said Wilde Lake coach Rick Wilson, "We knew coming in Oakland Mills was playing some good ball and it was not going to be like the last time we played [4-2 Wildecat win]. It's always a letdown when you have a strong wind at your back, as we did in the first half, and fail to put one in the net."

Dye's game-winning goal came just 2:15 into the second half.

"I was dribbling through, looking to pass when the ball bounced off one of their players and I pushed through," Dye said. "Somehow I got past their sweeper and looked up and saw net."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.