Feed your mind

November 02, 1994

If the only thing standing between you and a healthy diet is knowledge and you want to learn more about nutrition, one resource for Maryland residents is the "Food, Health and You" a bi-monthly nutrition newsletter published by the Cooperative Extension Service of the University of Maryland. To receive a free subscription, call the Home Economists at the number for your county below:

* Anne Arundel County (410) 724-3320

* Baltimore City (410) 396-1780

* Baltimore County (410) 666-0445

* Carroll County (410) 848-4611

* Harford County (410) 638-3255

* Howard County (410) 313-2707

For other counties you'll find the number for the Cooperative Extension service listed in the Government Pages under county government.

The cold facts:

Foods can be frozen safely for varying amounts of time, and if you would like specific guidelines, you could refer to "A Quick Consumer Guide to Safe Food Handling," published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service. To receive a free copy, call (202) 690-0351.

Season's eatings:

Local libraries and county extension offices carry a directory of .. local farmers called "Maryland Direct Farm Market and Pick Your Own Directory," which can help you find local farm fresh %J produce.

Tips for the thrifty:

For a sample copy of the Tightwad Gazette newsletter, send a business-size self-addressed, stamped envelope to RR1 Box 3570 Leed, Maine. 04263-9710.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.