Dickinson's second half puts away Hopkins, 29-7

October 30, 1994|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Sun Staff Writer

For a half yesterday, Johns Hopkins stirred a Homewood Field crowd of 2,517 as the upset-minded Blue Jays led undefeated and nationally ranked Dickinson 7-6 in a Centennial Conference game.

But in the second half, the expected happened. Dickinson, No. 13 in the nation in Division III, scored three touchdowns and added a field goal to win, 29-7, in Hopkins' first Hall of Fame game.

In halftime ceremonies and at a banquet last night, Hopkins admitted 13 former athletes to its new Hall of Fame. Among them were ex-football stars Joe Cowan (1969) and Bill Stromberg (1982).

Dickinson is now 8-0 overall and 5-0 in the Centennial. Hopkins is 2-6 and 2-3. Dickinson will play host to Gettysburg (5-0 in the conference) next week for the league championship.

"People will look at this score in the newspaper," said Dickinson coach Darwin Breaux, "and they'll assume it was a typical Dickinson victory. It wasn't.

"Hopkins has a very good football team and their defense really came to play. They're very physical. In the first half, they controlled the line of scrimmage. But in the second half, we got back to doing the things we can do -- like running the option game."

Andrew Hinkel led Dickinson with two touchdowns, the first on a 1-yard run early in the second period, the other on a 66-yard sprint down the left sideline early in the fourth quarter. That one put the visitors ahead 20-7.

Hinkel led all rushers with 148 yards on 18 carries.

After a scoreless first period, Dickinson scored a touchdown on Hinkel's 1-yard run 4:21 into the second quarter. The extra-point try was blocked.

Hopkins, which lost regular quarterback Dan Redziniak for the rest of the day because of a knee injury late in the first period, then came on to score a touchdown on a 26-yard pass-run from Mike Bopp to Ryan McCrum.

McCrum bobbled the pass at the Dickinson 20-yard line, appeared to be dropping it and then pulled it in and ran the remaining 20 yards for the score. Todd Bencivenni kicked the extra point and Hopkins led 7-6.

At that point, Blue Jays defenders Stu Clutterbuck, Jelani Rucker (Poly) and John Donovan were beginning to look as if they'd be the heroes of the day.

Perhaps Dickinson was slow to gather offensive steam because backup quarterback Bill Hawthorne was making his first start. No. 1 John Tice was hurt in practice last week.

"I didn't find out until five minutes before the kickoff that I'd be starting," said Hawthorne, who is called Boomer by his teammates because he looks like New York Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason. "Our offensive line was the key today."

Hawthorne scored a touchdown on a 14-yard run on an option play with 3:07 left in the third period that gave the Red Devils a lead at 12-7 that they would not relinquish.

After Hinkel's long touchdown run, Dickinson made it 23-7 on a 34-yard field goal by Alan Pfizenmayer.

The last score of the day came on a 33-yard pass from Hawthorne to wide receiver Steve Reider, with Reider battling for possession with Hopkins cornerback Chad Van Den Berg as the two went down together in the end zone.

"Dickinson has a very good team," said Hopkins coach Jim Margraff, "but we got back into committing turnovers [four interceptions] and giving up big plays."

Hopkins plays at Franklin and Marshall next week and ends its season by playing host to Western Maryland on Nov. 12.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.