Fake-out helps Maryland upset No. 23 Loyola, 3-1

October 27, 1994|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Everyone thought Maryland forward Matt Larson would pass the ball -- the Loyola defense, Greyhounds goalkeeper Zach Thornton, even Larson himself.

Instead, Larson dribbled the ball 70 yards and weaved past five Loyola defenders to score the game-winner in the 75th minute as Maryland upset the 23rd-ranked Greyhounds, 3-1, yesterday at Denton Field.

The Terps (11-4-1) stopped a winless string of four games against Loyola (13-3-2) and ended the Greyhounds' five-game winning streak. Maryland, which is 2-2 against ranked opponents, also kept alive its bid for an NCAA tournament spot.

"Once the ball hit my feet and I was going upfield, I thought I was going to pass," said Larson, a sophomore who scored his first career goal Sunday. "But the defenders kept falling back. Actually when I got near the goal, I thought I would lay it off to Malcolm [Gillian] on my right or Steve [Campbell] on my left. The defense just gave it to me."

Larson used a wide-open Campbell as a decoy as the defense prepared for a pass to the left. Once he charged past the defenders, Larson kicked the ball into the left corner of the goal after Thornton committed.

"When he had the guy open to his left, I thought he was going to pass it," said Thornton (John Carroll), who tied a career high with 11 saves but couldn't extend his school record of 10 consecutive shutouts. "It was a great shot."

Maryland created many great shots off a hustling offense, which didn't emerge until the second half. Loyola successfully contained the Terps with a packed defense in the first half, but couldn't keep up with their running attack in the second.

The Greyhounds had to adjust their defense after Will Cirrincione was ejected for holding Gillian on a breakaway. Loyola was forced to play the final 50:06 a man down.

The Terps, who outshot Loyola 16-9, never exploited this advantage. Their three goals resulted from outrunning the Greyhounds.

"The biggest thing that killed us was Maryland's pressure," Loyola coach Bill Sento said. "The red card wasn't as much as a factor as was how great Maryland played. This is the first time this season I can say a team worked harder than us. But we'll come back."

Maryland tied the game 1-1 when Gillian (Oakland Mills), who beat Loyola downfield, tapped a cross from Leo Cullen off one bounce to score in the 56th minute. That goal sparked the Terps, who pounded four shots in the next two minutes.

The Terps punctuated the win, scoring off a two-on-one break at the 88-minute mark. After Thornton dove to deflect Gillian's shot, Shane Dougherty (Fallston) had an open net to drive in the rebound.

The three goals by Maryland tied the most allowed by Loyola this season. The Greyhounds, who had allowed only seven goals all season, hadn't lost by two goals since a 2-0 defeat to Fairfield in 1992.

"I told the guys at halftime that we needed to run more out there and take different shots at Zach," said second-year Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski. "We weren't taking low shots at Zach and it turned out the shots we scored on were low shots."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.