Severna Park, Chesapeake co-champs

October 26, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

It had to be close. That much, everyone knew.

But which team would come out the winner between No. 4 Severna Park and No. 9 Chesapeake was a more difficult call.

When they first met Oct. 6, Severna Park's J.T. Carhart scored on a second-half header for a 1-0 victory.

Yesterday, with the county championship on the line, the heroes were plentiful, but a winner didn't emerge.

Senior Jim Himes scored twice in the second half, enabling the Falcons to tie Chesapeake, 3-3, at North BOYS SOCCER

County. Neither team scored during two 10-minute overtimes, so co-champions were declared.

This was the first time that the top two teams met to determine the county champion.

A goal by Andy Dziuban just 59 seconds into the second half had given the Cougars a 3-1 lead, though they were being outshot 13-6. But Himes (11 goals, seven assists) pulled Severna Park within one when he tapped in a loose ball at 10:43. And he blasted a shot past Chesapeake goalkeeper John Smith (15 saves) at 33:32 to stave off the upset.

"We didn't play well at all in the first half," Himes said. "We wanted to step up in the second half and get back in it. But this feels like a loss to me. A tie for us is a loss."

Chesapeake's loss came when senior Keith Hare collided with Falcons goalkeeper Chris Rippel (six saves) and sustained a possible fractured pelvic bone.

The Falcons (11-1-1) had jumped ahead, 1-0, when Jamie Maitland lofted a corner kick from Kelley Harris into the back of the net. It gave Harris a school-record 20 career assists.

Ryan Frommelt scored at 17:45 of the first half, breaking Severna Park's shutout streak at eight games, and Rich Kuhn put the Cougars (10-2-1) ahead less than three minutes later. But the momentum swung back to Severna Park after Dziuban's goal had given Chesapeake a seemingly comfortable lead.

"Talk about tides changing," said Chesapeake coach Earl Eckhardt. "We're trying to put a positive spin on it. This isn't the climax of our season. The kids have to feel good about scoring three goals on this team. But they feel like they should have won."

They would have lost if not for Smith, who made some acrobatic saves to preserve the tie. Early in the second overtime, he came out of the net and made a sliding deflection of a shot by Scott Vane, who had taken a pass from Himes and was in the clear.

Not to be outdone, Rippel denied Frommelt with a similar move.

Smith made a one-handed, leaping save on a shot by Jon Holleran at 32:16 of the second half. He stayed busy, as Severna Park finished with a 33-15 edge in shots.

The Falcons, who had won 10 in a row before yesterday, will travel to Northern-Calvert for the first round of the Class 4A East Region playoffs. The game is tentatively scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday. The Cougars, who had won four straight, will face Meade at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the 4A East Region playoffs.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.