Overlea eases past Chesapeake, 15-0

October 22, 1994|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,Special to The Sun

For the Overlea Falcons, the 1994 football season hasn't been as easy as some in the recent past. At times, the Falcons have been their own worst enemy.

For Corey Laws and the Falcons, last night helped make things a little easier.

Laws scored both first-half touchdowns to help Overlea (4-1, 4-2) to a 15-0 victory over host Chesapeake (3-2, 3-3) in a Baltimore County 1A-2A game at Dundalk Community College.

"After the first couple of games, we knew we had to get it together," said Laws. "The defense stepped up and we played together, and I think we showed the real Overlea tonight."

The Falcons also got some timely defense from senior free safety Ross Pagel, whose interception and fumble recovery stopped two second-half Chesapeake drives.

Overlea James Holley led the Falcons, running for 75 yards in 10 carries. Chesapeake was led by Michael Knox, who rushed for 142 yards on 25 carries.

The Falcons wasted little time getting started, scoring the first time they touched the ball. After holding Chesapeake to 8 yards on the opening possession, Overlea took over at the Bayhawks' 49.

Four plays later -- and aided by an unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Bayhawks -- Laws ran the ball in from the 6 to give Overlea a 7-0 lead with 7:49 left in the quarter.

Chesapeake began to move the ball late in the quarter, but the Bayhawks' Darrick Christian was stoped on fourth-and-one at his 44.

The Falcons took over, and two plays later Overlea quarterback Malcolm Pulliam's pass a found wide-open Matt Davis at the 8. Overlea moved the ball to the 1, but a defensive stand by Chesapeake stopped Laws there.

On their next drive, the Falcons added to their lead. After taking over at their 36, the Falcons drove to midfield with 2:17 left in the half.

From there, Pulliam found Laws for a 38-yard completion to the Bayhawks' 12. Two plays later, Laws exploited a hole in the middle of the Chesapeake line for a 12-yard touchdown to run the lead to 15-0 at the half.

Chesapeake looked as if it would mount a comeback early in the second half. After taking over at its 9, the Bayhawks used 14 plays to get to the Overlea 9. On first-and-goal, Pagel recovered a Michael Knox fumble to halt the drive.

The Bayhawks were driving again late in the fourth quarter, but Jermaine Woodhouse's pass was intercepted by Pagel at the Overlea 27 to end the Bayhawks' last real scoring chance.

"We were in the red zone three times," said Chesapeake coach Rick Zentz. "They stopped us once, and we stopped ourselves twice. You can't do that and expect to win against a team like Overlea."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.